back to article Wikimedia’s executive director quits after less than 2 years in post

The Wikimedia Foundation’s executive director, Leila Tretikov, has resigned after less than two years in the post. A decade ago the foundation employed just three people and operated on a budget of $3m – which is the operating cost of the site today. But aggressive funding drives initiated by a previous executive director saw …

1. Downside

Wiki needs a great search tool

Look at Atlassians confluence, it's got an amazing search.

But 150 s/w engineers? You could do A LOT with that. Don't see the fruits of my donations yet...

2. John Lilburne

Geeks with too much time on their hands ...

... and not enough ability. Lets be honest the WP engineering staff are mostly converted WP wonks. They have little in the way of experience in writing commercial grade software, and the WMF has had little in the way of experience in managing a major open source software project. The result has been that hacks and screw up have dominated in creating the ramshackle product that is wikimedia. The software is unmaintainable and mostly untested. Witness the bugs that kept coming back as they tried to implement a visual editor.

So the current batch of incompetents are in disarray when faced with someone in charge that knows how software engineering should be done, and in true wiki style back stab and screech in message boards. Meanwhile the WMF board are as incompetent as their employees.

Should be fun watchingt this years donation disappear down the drain. Last year they squandered $3 million in travel expenses.

3. Phil O'Sophical Silver badge

Unionize?

The biggest threat a union can make is to withdraw its members' labour, but would anyone actually notice if that happened to Wikimedia?

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

A suggestion

How about getting prisoners to edit Wikipedia and if they make mistakes or put in dubious content then they have time added to their sentence. It cost's north of £50k a year to house a prisoner so let's see them doing something for the good of society instead of lounging around their cell, watching Sky TV and using illicit substances.

Yours sincerely

Mr D M Reader

Somewhere to the right of Berlin.

1. Pascal Monett Silver badge
      Trollface

Because prisoners are obviously the people whose knowledge will most benefit Humanity.

Yup, sounds good. No need for all those boring PhDs and other assorted scientific experts. Nope. What we need is Weedkipedia.

On second thought . . .

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

@ pascal,

You took it seriously, he he.

Bit early for an April Fool but still, gotcha.

Your sincerely

Mr Daily Mail Reader (not)

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"Supporters have called for Wikipedia to unionise"

It's 2016, not 1916. Unions are a dying concept well past it's sell-by date.

1. The First Dave

In most industries

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Are Unions really a dying concept?

Unions (or the threat of them) are the ONLY reason any of us in the USA actually have employee benefits or occupational health and safety laws!

Don't think for one minute that the "robber barons" would provide any employee retirement or other benefits without them.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Are Unions really a dying concept?

"Unions (or the threat of them) are the ONLY reason any of us in the USA actually have employee benefits or occupational health and safety laws!"

Sounds like you need to get the vote! Then you can make sure you have laws that set appropriate minimum benefits...

Or maybe you could join the EU?

3. JimC

Like it or not they're our best hope to get the greed of the executive class under comtrol, even though the only people who seem prepared to put the effort into running them are the looney left.

4. KeithR

"It's 2016, not 1916. Unions are a dying concept well past it's sell-by date."

Ah - YOU'RE the Daily Mail reader the other AC was pretending to be..

6. Anonymous Coward
    Facepalm

Corporation(ism)

Only one thing turns a cost of £3 Million to £100 Million in this sort of time scale ...

only 10 per cent of staff indicated that they had confidence in the senior leadership, while seven per cent agreed that they were kept informed, and senior management had communicated a vision that motivated them.

So very much the sort of result you would expect from people working for an American corporate then ?

7. Bibbit
    Joke

I thought they had some good engineers

After all, did the Knight Foundation not build the indestructible car K.I.T.T? A search engine should be a breeze.

1. Aebleskiver

Re: I thought they had some good engineers

I think that was Knight Ridder...

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

> I think that was Knight Ridder...

Ritter Fahrer?

2. KeithR

"I think that was Knight Ridder..."

Ol' man Ridder?

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Quoting Tretikov

I got a lot of feedback that taking early ideas (at the brainstorm/pie in the sky stage) out to the community would cause too much turmoil and pushback

Source

She got a lot of feedback that what? Didn't it occur to whoever was giving that feedback that the whole idea is that the foundation is supposed to be there to help the community realise their ideas, not vice-versa?

No skin off my nose, but ...

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon