back to article Two storage startups walk into a bar. One gulps investor funds, one sips gently

It’s all about secondary storage these days. We are talking about a market that is estimated to grab 80 to 90 per cent of the overall capacity installed and 40/50 per cent of the total storage expenditure in a few years from now. Tellingly, their $/GB is much lower than for primary storage). Part of this storage will be object …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

"Two storage startups walk into a bar. One gulps investor funds, one sips gently"

The barman asks the first one: "why the hurry" and the startup answers: "because my container's leaky".

(Is this the right joke for the technology?)

2. Pen-y-gors

Which one is right? ...Easy

The one who gulps investor funds, obviously.

1) Get £20 million investment

2) Pay CEO £19.5 million salary

3) go bust

4) CEO retires to live in luxury

5) Result!

Where do I sign up?

3. Trevor_Pott Gold badge

Rubrik wins

Rubrik has 2D Chris Wahl. 2D Chris Whal is the hero storage needs right now, but not the one it deserves.

4. Mike Shepherd
    Meh

"...in a few years from now"

I think I've heard those words before (and often repeated). In the 1970s, we were invited to believe that disc storage would soon be replaced by semiconductor magnetic devices ("bubble memory"). As ever, the existing technologies saw that further investment was now worthwhile, pressed gently on the throttle and zoomed off into the distance. Only now (40 years on) does it seem likely that "flash" memory will match the prediction.

5. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

"They are building two all-star teams of developers that are implementing awesome features one after the other."

Stuff that just works is all the awesome I need.

Really, blurb like this gives me acid reflux. Pass the Maalox, please...

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like