back to article $30m stands between you and the contract to run all .org domains

The company that runs all .org domains, Public Interest Registry (PIR), has opened up its US$30m back-end contract to tender. In an announcement this morning, the company – which supplies the Internet Society and hence the IETF (Internet Engineering Task Force) with the bulk of its funds – said it was issuing a "request for …

1. eesiginfo

What have the Romans done for you (or are going to do)?

As an owner of a .org domain, I read this article with interest.

It (the title) addressed itself to me.... but I gained no real insight on how I might be affected.

We do learn that there is plenty of money for the boys - $30m to Afilias & $30m to ISOC, leaving $20m for itself and advertising.

I'm not quite sure why we need to advertise .org but hey ho.....

Okay... so this group of people have managed to get themselves into an enviable position.... with money pouring in (well done them I guess).

So we learned this much.

... but what are the implications of "$30m stands between you and the contract to run all .org domains".

Okay... it's journalism, reporting events, only it's a bit like reporting a new medical procedure, without explaining what it does.

It seems PIR are gonna save themselves $20m.

Fine!

So is it a better class of pop at lunchtime for them, or do we see domain fees slashed.... or what?

What does it all mean to us (perhaps a new viaduct)?

:)

1. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

Re: What have the Romans done for you (or are going to do)?

Why a duck?

1. eesiginfo

Re: What have the Romans done for you (or are going to do)?

Jawohl!

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Nominet

The only problem using Nominet is they'll add 50% to your domain prices. You won't get better service, it will be just because a non-profit company has to keep increasing their yearly profits, all for the public good of course (Just don't mention senior staff performance related pay.)

1. Yes Me Silver badge

Re: Nominet

PIR's own rules (and ethos) would pretty much prevent it accepting a bid that didn't guarantee to keep registration fees reasonable. I hope.

3. rtb61

Registries should be public run and publicly controlled, definitely no contractors. Imagine the kind of abuse that would go on if title deeds were run by a private company, now you own it, now you don't and spend a decade in court trying to get it back.

That domain registry record is pretty much the same as a land title and as such should be protected in the public interest.

1. Yes Me Silver badge

the same as a land title?

You lose your land title if you don't pay the mortgage. You lose your domain name if you don't pay the renewal fee. You can lose either of them in court or at binding arbitration. I don't see your point.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2020