back to article Oz battery maker Redflow's residential product to land in March

Redflow, which started life building batteries for industrial applications like remote telecommunications facilities, says its first residential offering will land in March. While it hasn't announced the price of installed end-user units, the company's latest investor update states the upfront battery-only cost is AU$800 per …

1. Winkypop Silver badge
    Trollface

Aussie Aussie....

Let's hope it doesn't stop for a Smoko!

2. frank ly
    Coat

Ah, language

"During the charge phase, the zinc is extracted from the liquid phase ..."

Is it suitable for use with 3-phase power supplies?

3. dibbz

What savings?

Well since getting solar I don't even get $1500 a year in power bills. Why would I go spend $15k to save $15k and lose the benefit of having the money in the bank earning interest. Actually it would cost me more as you still need mains for when the solar doesn't cut it.

4. Oengus

Way overpriced

I estimated that I need ~100KwH of storage to go off the grid. This allows for extended periods of low charge rates and prevents the need for full discharge (except in exceptional circumstances and I have a backup generator for those times).

The cost of these batteries is more than 3 times the cost of other solutions. Yes you can do 100% discharge but what do you do for power then. I think this technology has a way to go before it becomes a viable alternative to existing solutions.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like