back to article Roses are red, violets are blue, Valentine's Day means DDoS for you

Net scum have bashed florists with distributed denial of service attacks over Valentine's Day in a bid to extract ransoms, security analysts say. The attacks affected almost a dozen florists who were customers of security company Incapsula, and likely many others not monitored by the firm. Security bods Ofer Gayer and Tim …

1. msknight

Faces are red,

People are blue,

Florists are DDoS'd

So everything's screwed.

2. Ole Juul

Net scum

There's got to be a better word implying that this crap actually sinks to the bottom.

1. BebopWeBop
      Terminator

Re: Net scum

Well I have noticed, that in the UK anyway, the scum (of all colours) seem to rise to the top.

1. Mark 85

Re: Net scum

Well I have noticed, that in the UK anyway, the scum (of all colours) seem to rise to the top.

Indeed, scum floats. I've often heard reference to someone "being lower than whale shit".. but apparently some does float to the top apparently... ambergris.

Edit:

Ambergris maybe isn't true whale shit according to references.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

DDoS?

Naahhh, just husbands and boyfriends placing late orders because they utterly forget it... and had just seen the beloved one frowning menacingly...

1. Doctor_Wibble
      Thumb Up

Re: DDoS?

Many a truth spoken in jest!

Interesting though that these are spikes rather than continued barrages, and at least one is a week or more before That Day so attacks have to be differentiated from the mass tweet-inspired panic moments when e.g. a florist or advertiser posts that you have only 3 hours to place your order. And one of the spikes is suspiciously exactly at midnight, that frequently-doomsday time when a typo in a config wreaks its merry havoc. Only one customer reported getting a ransom note? Random opportunism after someone spotted a tweet?

And that's before I get into a rant about the fckwit retards who enable these botnets in the first place. Unexpected invoice from someone I've never heard of? Let me open that right away...

p.s. Is 'blogvert' a word?

4. Pascal Monett Silver badge

The scum obviously have no girlfriends

I understand the criminal approach of maximizing revenue : squeeze the victims that are most likely to pay without fuss.

I also think that paying them is a major mistake. Blackmailers will always come back to a victim who paid before. Unfortunately, that is not really an option for commercial sites, since they lack the means to change domain name or IP in a reasonable amount of time.

The only thing left is tracing the money, and that means paying, then waiting a long time before getting any hope of results.

What I don't understand is the betting sites. Betting has always been rather close to the criminal side of affairs - it seems to me that criminals are often behind those activities in the first place. So how is it that betting sites are targeted ? Shouldn't they be able to phone somebody and "get the message across" ?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: The scum obviously have no girlfriends

I used to work for one of the largest gambling companies in the UK. They never paid anyone off, but did pay for a helluva lot of mitigation equipment.

5. petef
    Coat

Roses are #foo

Violets are #00f

All my base

Are belong to you

1. GrumpenKraut

4-bit color channels? You may want to upgrade to a Tseng ET4000.

1. Down not across

Tseng ET4000

This is why I can't leave this place. All these blasts to the past. I had a Diamond Stealth32 and it rocked.

6. Christoph

And that is called paying the Dane-geld;

But we've proved it again and again,

That if once you have paid him the Dane-geld

You never get rid of the Dane.

1. MyffyW Silver badge

Another one of Mr Kipling's slices

As it will be in the future, it was at the birth of Man

There are only four things certain since Social Progress began.

That the Dog returns to his Vomit and the Sow returns to her Mire,

And the burnt Fool's bandaged finger goes wobbling back to the Fire;

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like