back to article IDC's abacus fiddlers say a third of all IT spend goes on cloud

IDC abacus acrobats have worked out that a third of IT infrastructure spend is going to the cloud, up from just under a quarter a year ago. In IDC’s latest Worldwide Quarterly Cloud IT Infrastructure Tracker it’s revealed that $7.6 Bn was spent on cloud IT infrastructure in the third 2015 quarter. IT infrastructure spend …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Cloud? Ah, all that money wasted

still it looked good in the IT budgeting operation this time last year.

It cost a lot more than it saved.

Thankfully the Accountants pulled the plug on it on Dec 31. Now it is all back in-house.

During our cloudy period due to problems outside our control, service availability went down from 98% to 82%. Mind you, the budget for the move to cloud didn't include provision for multiple independent networks links. So it was probably doomed to fail before it began

1. nilfs2
      FAIL

Re: Cloud? Ah, all that money wasted

Perhaps you made bad decisions and chose the shitty cloud services providers?, or had a shitty architecture?

2. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

Define 'cloud'

As everybody seems to have their own definition*, statistics like these are meaningless.

* how about 'any bit of IT gear that can get connected directly or indirectly to the internet'?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Define 'cloud'

Defining "cloud" has been confusing to me, too. But over the past couple years, I'm starting to see it as:

1. Compute, network, or storage infrastructure that's owned and hosted by somebody other than my company.

2. I pay OpEx instead of CapEx to utilize that infrastructure.

3. I can grow or contract the infrastructure as needed to meet current business needs.

At least, this is how I explain it to the higher-ups who are just as confused as I was (am?) about what the cloud is.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like