back to article SlemBunk slamdunk: Mobile banking Trojans found worldwide

Cybercrooks have put together a dynasty of Android Trojan apps in a bid to imitate the legitimate apps of 33 financial management institutions across the globe. The SlemBunk apps (which commonly masquerade as popular applications, such as social media, utility, etc) have spread across three major continents: North America, …

1. Pen-y-gors

Explain to me again...

in which alternate universe would I ever think it's a good idea to use a mobile banking app?

Using the bank's website from a bookmark in my browser on my home computer - that's the one with several different lots of malware protection + Trusteer and a VPN - I'll take the risk.

Using the website via my phone - still pretty unlikely.

An App - really, no. I like Android but I don't trust it.

1. DaLo

Re: Explain to me again...

This same attack could work equally well on a PC, in fact it would be easier on a PC.

The only difference is that 2FA could not be intercepted, however this wouldn't stop it happening. The banking app could stop this quite easily with different information for each customer presented on the login screen.

2. jonathanb Silver badge

Re: Explain to me again...

I am not at all convinced by the claims that Trusteer makes.

The only time a VPN would help is if you are on an untrusted Wifi connection and are concerned about MITM attacks. It doesn't help at all if your PC is infected.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Prompted to download an Adobe Flash update on a mobile device?

Goodness me. There are still a lot of optimistic people who have not got the memo out there.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Agree & upvoted, but the problem is...

Security is only as good as the weakest link in your family. What if your partner, girlfriend, wife, husband, mother, father, sister won't listen to you? Mine only see the glossy ads showing deceptive convenience. Meanwhile, they feel I'm the boring old fart that doesn't let them have any fun with their toys.

Android is an abomination. Every single app comes with privacy warnings and invasive desires on everything that you're about. As you say, at least with desktop we can keep some control. But try explaining that to the parties mentioned above!

They just switch off. Its like teaching kids hard math or boring history. No matter what, I'm the bad guy, not the crims! And now they want their TV's and IoT gadgets hooked into this scam-pot too!

4. Anonymous Coward
    Linux

Android Trojan spread across three major continents

'To detect and defend against such attacks, we advise our customers to deploy our mobile security solution'

Aw, go on, go on, go on ...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Angel

Re: Android Trojan spread across three major continents

father ted never had a Smartphone, or much money

5. Fluffy Cactus

Which ones

Ok so you told us: "Cybercrooks have put together a dynasty of Android Trojan apps in a bid to imitate the legitimate apps of 33 financial management institutions across the globe. "

Now, would it be too hard to tell us which ones these "33 financial management institutions" are indeed

affected by this? Or are you not sure? Or are you afraid you get sued? Or are you afraid of being useful?

Or what?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like