back to article Competition watchdog to rubberstamp BT gobble of EE

Blighty's competition watchdog is expected to wave through the £12.5bn acquisition of EE by BT this week, in its final piece of paperwork before the two become one in March. The deal will create the first fully integrated "quadplay" company, offering fixed-line phones, broadband, mobile and TV. But of potentially greater …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Synergy? No one uses synergy anymore.

There will be alignment. Alignment is the new synergy, and all shall fear it.

2. getHandle

Why do I have a bad feeling about this?

What's the betting my bills go up, not down, despite the synerg^W alignment...

And are they going to retain all the EE branding, including my "EE" login page (currently https://web.orange.co.uk/id/signin.php)?

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

BT + EE, known informally as 'Sweetie'

Supposedly, the informal name 'Sweetie' was jokingly made in reference to all the greasy palms, backhanders that have been paid to get this deal through. The idea that the combined might of these two's CS teams improving anything regards the customer experience , well thats just a pair of hairy ones.

All eyes are on BTOpenreach now. The words it will be 'rail roaded', said to be double speak in reference to Railtrack, so no wiser - lets hope David Cameron does actually have some balls, given his own frustrations in Cornwall.

4. Aitor 1

No competition

I guess the idea is to have just three (no pun intended) telcos to set prices an lower service quality, as in Spain. Very profitable for the companies

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: No competition

We're well aware of Telefónica / o2 who seem to love to watch the Welsh/Scottish (especially the Welsh) & visitors to these parts show off their gritty competitive streak in trying to communicate only via 2G DATA, rather than invest, knowing a shorter penetration of 3G/4G would mean no signal at all for some and that would be no fun at all, would it? - using the existing mast infrastructure.

1. Hans Neeson-Bumpsadese Silver badge

Re: Wales

Really? A few years ago I was involved in a project in south Wales, and it was made a lot easier by the massive investment made by Welsh government in mobile data (GPRS minimum) for the whole area.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Re: Wales

Good luck doing anything useful with GPRS or even 'Edge' on your iPhone / Samsung. GPRS 'is' 2G.

PCAdvisor describes it:

What’s it like? GPRS is like asking your elderly neighbour to deliver the mail for you. In the real world you'd be lucky to get 3.5KB/s and thats standing next to the mast on a good day.

Just look any at any O2 coverage map for Wales, then exclude 2G coverage (as its all but useless) , outside of Cardiff, pretty much zero data coverage on O2. And given, O2 / Vodafone have a mast share agreement, that equally applies to Vodafone too.

5. adam payne

Here comes the fantastic offers for new customers but only if you sign up for every other BT home package.

6. Hans Neeson-Bumpsadese Silver badge
    Meh

Plus ca change

So, instead of a load of different companies, each as s**t as the other, consumers will have a choice of a smaller number of companies, each as s**t as the other.

7. AMBxx Silver badge

Sky/Vodafone

Next up - Sky & Vodafone merger?

8. Tezfair

glad I jumped

Went to three, and although it hasn't been as good a service that EE provided (less coverage, I live in the country), the biggest plus's is that I now only pay £20 a month for just about all I can eat on monthly (from £39), and a 1Tb data alllowance a month.

1. Polyphonic

Re: glad I jumped

EE and 3 mast share. I wonder how that will fare in the future.

9. Polyphonic
    Meh

Byee EE

As someone who was synergised from EE this time last year I feel sorry for all my ex-colleagues who are likely to synergised this year.

10. MrZoolook
    Coffee/keyboard

Hopefully...

... with this I'll be offered a get out of my contract and go to a company who can provide me with more than the 0.54 mb downstraem rate that EE are giving me. Even though they use the exact same fucking hardware that TalkTalk used and never dropped me below 6.

And maybe, they'll even sack the idiots in customer services who argued that OFCOM give them 3 months to correct faults before I can leave my contract fee free, because they blanket refuse to acknowledge that the temporary fixes they have been applying over the last 5 months (actually just resetting the line) are a part of an ongoing problem, and actually represent different problems every time I report it!

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Oh FFS...

Company with (insert description here) customer service bought by a customer with even more (insert description here) service...

Looks like I shall be trotting off to a new provider at the end of the month when my contract is up!

12. BOBSta
    FAIL

First 'quad play' company

Surely shome mishtake? Anyone remember Virgin Media's cable tv, broadband, fixed phone and mobile deals which started about 5 years ago?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon