back to article Black hole shows off glow-in-the-dark ring after sucking in matter

The next time astro-boffins announce a burst of activity in V404 Cygni, grab a telescope, head somewhere dark, look at Cygnus, and you could get a treat. V404 Cygni's proximity to us (7,800 light years) makes it one of the cosmos' best-studied black holes, and what's got the Japanese researchers excited is that it sometimes …

1. DropBear

Huh?

If they can tell the luminosity is fluctuating from that video footage, I'm beginning to think CSI-style magical "enhance" algorithms are actually real...

1. Grikath

Re: Huh?

not that difficult to determine, really...

You compare the brightness of the object of interest with the brightness of the objects right next to it.

It's only a couple sets of pixels you need to track, and because of their vicinity they will share most of anything our atmosphere does to distort the picture. Piece of cake nowadays, and easy to represent as a graph.

There should be plenty Commentards here who could whip up something to do exactly that.

one or two passes through bog-standard video editing SW would clean it up as well. One to substract jitter using one of the fixed luminosity sources near the object, and maybe one to get rid of remaining noise. But then people would've shouted HAX!!

2. Unep Eurobats
      Mushroom

Re: Huh?

Yes, to me it looked like everything was fluctuating like TV-screen static. I can believe that enhancement will show what's really going on, but would prefer an artist's impression (something spectacular - see icon).

2. tony2heads

Find out whats happening in the sky with www.astronomerstelegram.org

but V404 Cyg maybe going quiet

3. plingwoo

Great name for a black hole.

I wonder is there an 808 blackhole spewing out rave somewhere.

1. MyffyW Silver badge

Re: 808

@plingwoo you've lulled me into a Pacific State

"Modern Technology can record the voice of the people with the utmost precision..."

4. Thesheep

Rushing to comment

So Rush get it almost right:

Six Stars of the Northern Cross

In mourning for their sister's loss

In a final flash of glory

Nevermore to grace the night...

Then drop the ball entirely:

Invisible to telescopic eye

Although to be fair, using 1970s rock as a physics primer isn't the best idea.

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge
      Boffin

Re: Rushing to comment

"Although to be fair, using 1970s rock as a physics primer isn't the best idea."

That depends on which 1970's rock star you are referring too :-)

(need the old badger icon really, but boffin will do)

5. This post has been deleted by its author

6. Mostly Harmless v2

Is it my eyes?

Not a hugely exciting video. To be honest all of the stars in that video seem to be fluctuating at the same rate.

Not doubting that software can see a difference but from my eyes I see nothing unusual. Oh well interesting article never the less.

7. Michael H.F. Wilkinson Silver badge

I would love to have a look

with my 8" Schmidt-Cassegrain, but could someone first hoover up all these bleedin' clouds?

8. Yer Mother You Will

Having looked very closely at this picture, I notice every star fluctuates at precisely the same time.

Has someone forgotten to take into account our atmosphere?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like