back to article Ruskie rats selling Choose-Your-Own-Adventure love scams

Russians have delivered another blow to beleaguered love rats with the sale of automated and plug-and-play online dating scam packages. The services are slung on underground crime sites and promise a response rate of 1.2 percent from love luckless men. The rort will earn net scum US$2,000 a week if they send out 30 romance …

1. DropBear
    Trollface

The most important question being of course...

...does any of those text trees contain "me love you long time"...?

1. Tony S

Re: The most important question being of course...

I immediately thought of this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N2pYV7LtKT4

634-5789

2. Roq D. Kasba

So you pay for the scripts...

...then you hand your fully qualified victim over to a bunch of (by definition) thieves and scammers. Sure, of course they'll manage the victim for you and only keep the $10.

1. dotdavid

Re: So you pay for the scripts...

Would be amusing if someone set up a scam scam telephone agency. They could call the mark and inform them that they've been scammed, then proceed to lead the original scammers on billing them all the while.

2. Crazy Operations Guy

Re: So you pay for the scripts...

The person running the scam pays the staff center fees. Charging the sucker at this point is more than likely to kill the ruse right there. It only makes good business sense for the call center to do it that way, the scammer isn't going to rat them out and there is no risk of the charge being reversed and losing out on the cash. If they don't try to scam the target, they can claim that they are just a phone-sex type service (relationship fantasy rather than sexual fantasy, but otherwise similar) and the scammer is just a payment processor; giving them plausible deniability and prevents the operation from being shut down in case the police come calling. Plus they'd be killing their source of business as reputation is everything in the black-market in exchange for a very short-term gain.

3. Norm DePlume

Black list for white hats

So if you annoy the vermin, they make sure you're not pestered again in future? Win-win!

4. TeeCee Gold badge

Correction

"....would pass the scam test for the less weary dating hopefulsthose blinded by desperation."

They'd probably do very well if there were a huge list of blokes who do all their thinking with their dicks available online for them to target.............

5. Mr Dogshit
    IT Angle

Slow news day?

6. Winkypop Silver badge
    Devil

What?

You mean that Svetlana isn't real?

What about Anastasia?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: What?

Turns out that Anastasia was killed with the rest of her family after all, so the cartoon was a load of bollocks and the singer who had hits with "I'm Outta Love" and "Left Outside Alone" was an imposter as evidenced by the fact she couldn't spell her own name and was obviously nowhere near a hundred years old at the time.

I'm still hoping that Oksana, the well-built tractor mechanic and former shot putt champion is real, and she assures me that the large quantities of chemicals she was given in her former career have not had too much effect.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Based on the experience of a friend of mine, being scammed like this could still work out substantially cheaper than actually getting a Russian wife over the internet.

1. Why Not?
      Happy

Nice, one keyboard on order!

2. Crazy Operations Guy

"a friend of mine"... Riiiiight, we believe you..

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Were "less weary" and "gulliable" men involved in writing the article?

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Who works in these places?

Seriously, who gets up in the morning and heads out to the call center where their job is scamming people for $10 a pop? Do they ever look themselves in the mirror and wonder about their life choices?

On a related note, I've found that the fastest way to get the "Tech Support" scammers to curse effusively at you is to ask them whether their mother is proud of what they do for a living.

1. Alistair
      Windows

Re: Who works in these places?

You've never worked in a call center have you?

They're ALL like that. No matter *what* organization employs you.

<sadly, I know whereof I speak>

2. Crazy Operations Guy

Re: Who works in these places?

A lot of these call centers are located in areas where $10 will buy a week/month's worth of food. Its ridiculously easy to get good people to do evil things if they have mouths to feed.

10. Graham Bartlett

Wind-up doll

Having received a message from someone on another website (which I'm *really* not going to tell you what it was!), and then being told I'd need to pay for the privilege of getting them to the UK, I decided to see how deep the rabbit hole went...

It turns out there was genuinely a woman involved. More amusingly, she was prepared to do some interesting things to demonstrate she was genuine. Hint to others incidentally if you want to confirm there's a real person on the other side: marker pen, your username, the date today, and a body part of choice. I don't think for a minute that she (or her friends, because someone else was clearly taking the pictures) was intending to leave Nigeria if I'd transferred all that money across, but it certainly livened up a boring week.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Guess the body part

Username: Llandudno

2. Crazy Operations Guy

Re: Wind-up doll

That's been happening a lot with refugees coming out of Syria. She'll find a someone that is claiming to help her get out of the country, and for all she knows, that is what is happening. Once the target is bled dry, she is told that they backed out and she'll have to try again. If she starts catching on or making trouble, she'll be threatened with having her children given to ISIS fighters as a reward (8 year old girls are ISIS's equivalent to medals) or sold as slaves.

*I volunteer for a charity that helps to free women from the above, and similar, situations.

1. Graham Bartlett

Re: Wind-up doll

Actually was Nigeria. And even got a picture of her passport - she was South African. For this woman, it seemed a lot more of her own free will, otherwise I wouldn't have been doing the wind-up.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like