back to article Think you're all done patching? Not if you have any Apple gear

Apple has joined the likes of Microsoft and Adobe in releasing patches for dozens of security holes in its products. The Cupertino design studio has posted updates for nearly all of its product lines, fixing security holes in iOS, OS X, watchOS, tvOS, Safari, and Xcode. For OS X users, the update is packaged as El Capitan 10. …

1. Zog_but_not_the_first
    Facepalm

Meldrew moment

iDon't believe it.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Meldrew moment

Believe it! IOS has had over 3x the number of CVEs in 2015 that android has. They are also more severe.

Securina has the gory details

1. oneeye

Re: Meldrew moment

Right you are! Apple has now patched well over 150 vulns in iOS safari alone! And several hundred others for all manner of things. And there is a major jail break supposedly out there that some scumware outfit said won their contest to collect a million dollars. The arrogance of Apple engineering has left them in a bad position. Or maybe it is a general corporate attitude that prevails. Whatever the case, walled gardens can and are breached all the time,and Apple has lost a lot of developer support over these past few years.

2. Efros

Quick Time disabled...

Oh dear what a pity... never mind!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Quick Time disabled...

I can never stomach the install of QT. One bad taste and I'm darned if I ever go back to try it again. Even after all these years.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

No update 4 joo

>For OS X users, the update is packaged as El Capitan 10.11.2 or Security Update 2015-008 for Yosemite and Mavericks.

Mavericks released on October 22, 2013? Boy I bet Microsoft would kill to only have to supply security updates for OSes released in just over the last two years. Nothing beats every year a service pack pretending to be a new OS all the while praying you get to stay in the cool kids club (and not be thrown to the wolves with no further security updates short of doing the sane thing and installing Linux which will support the hardware a hell of lot longer than Apple). Nothing is less hip than LTS.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: No update 4 joo

> Nothing is less hip than LTS.

Except being able to upgrade your kit yourself at market prices.

4. JakeMS
    Unhappy

Feeling left out

As a Linux user I feel a little left out to be honest!

I got a whole bunch of CentOS servers running and all I got lately was one single lousy security update for "libpng".

Us Linux users always get left out of these mega-security-patch things. It's so unfair!

1. cambsukguy

Re: Feeling left out

Well, either the software is much, much better than Apple, MS or Google can write or, something else.

The Ubuntu 14.04 system I have has a rather large list of updates waiting to go. I just don't want to reboot it since I am using it for work and it has nothing on it I worry about.

2. Electron Shepherd

If you have anything that uses OpenSSL, and you haven't patched it in the last week, you're out of date.

1. asdf

>If you have anything that uses OpenSSL

You will be patching that POS sieve until the end of time. Even LibreSSL with the OpenBSD security experts is just turd polishing. That API is total garbage. What an epic fail it got rooted so deeply into the internet infrastructure.

3. a_yank_lurker

Use a rolling release distro and you will get patches and upgrades rather regularly.

It seems the is a patching flu going around, there is an Android phone update making the rounds also.

5. azaks

its the users fault...

apple products don't have security flaws. Its just the dumb users that are using them wrong.

6. Unicornpiss
    Meh

Get used to it...

Unless someone with ultimate domain admin rights patches the human psyche (long overdue), there will be assholes looking to exploit flaws until the end of time, or at least civilization. As complexity in software increases, no one is capable of releasing a product without flaws. (especially with rushed dev schedules) So I imagine that we will be saddled with updates for everything we own that's more complicated than a can opener for the rest of our lives, along with all the hassle and frustration of updates that go wrong.

Oh, and Quicktime in any of its incarnations is a reeking P.O.S.

1. sabroni Silver badge

Re: everything we own that's more complicated than a can opener

Don't worry, the IOT will mean your can opener needs patching too!

7. Charlie Clark Silver badge

And the app store is broken again

I can't update any applications that require logging in, like XCode. Happened before and only took two months to resolve – it never got fixed.

Apple's QA is going to hell.

8. tempemeaty
    Gimp

Quantity over Quality...?

The frequency of each reiteration of their OS has been a compromise in the overall quality that is negatively affecting their users experience. I sincerely hope that Apple reconsiders it's desires for a new OS on a yearly basis. They could just release a new featured theme for it once a year and a more thoroughly debugged OS once every two years. This way they could increase the compatibility between versions, improve security and provide a user experience more in step with the quality expected of products under the Apple name.

1. Unicornpiss
      Meh

Re: Quantity over Quality...?

I'd have to agree that Steve Jobs is probably spinning in his grave over some of the releases (both software and hardware) that have come out of Apple lately. I think the man was a raging asshole, and I'm no fanboi, but he kept Apple on course and would never have stood for the bendy, fragile iPhone 6, for example IMHO.

Re. OS releases on a yearly basis, everyone is releasing before they're ready to meet some nonexistent cry for more features that is apparently mostly driven by marketing and the need to hold the public's interest. *Cough* Windows 10. *Cough* All of the recent product and OS releases are kind of a premature ejaculation with the subsequent sheepish "Sorry, I'll make it up to you, I promise."

9. Naselus

Downvotes explained - the single standards error

For God's sake, try to remember that when Google or Microsoft release updates or patches, it's because the software they produce is buggy shite that desperately needs constant revision to avoid dying on it's ass and you were a fool to buy it. When Apple release patches, it's because they offer excellent post-release support for the entire lifetime of the device and each new software version is like a gift from the gods. Or something like that; tbh I never really managed to grep the justification for this.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

These sort of comments where tiring 5 years ago, let alone now. That should explain the downvotes for you.

The posters even realise it's droll which is why they post AC.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like