back to article McAfee Security Manager lets anybody bypass managers' security

McAfee's Enterprise Security Manager (ESM) needs patching, as smartly as you can manage, due to an administrator-level authentication bypass. The advisory here says “a specially crafted username” can get past the Security Information & Event Management logins without authentication, and without a password, “if the ESM is …

1. David Roberts
    Facepalm

Security...

.....it's in the title!

[Nowhere else though.]

2. a_yank_lurker

OOPS

This sounds suspiciously like SQL injection or some real sloppy coding.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: OOPS

No, that looks entirely intentional here. Now looking at the code (and patch would be the tie breaker. Here, in the US with DMCA, I'll have. to leave to others to sort out. Not that I've even a smidgen of exposure to it. [Thank God]

2. Joe 35

Re: OOPS

Looks like a backdoor to me.

3. Mark 85
    Facepalm

And of course it's McAfee.... I'm surprised anyone is still using them.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

You shouldn't be. When I purchased a new ASUS laptop a few months ago, I was handed a free 1 year subscription to McAfee bij a suitably solemn sales person stating this would guarantee my new toy was protected.

I binned it as soon as I got home, but I imagine a lot of people that don't read the likes of El Reg and similar literature see this as a '29.99 Euro freebee' and install it at the first opportunity.

Unortunately, no laws govering the protection of consumers in Belgiumshire include protection from stupidity by salesfolk.

1. DainB Bronze badge

Not sure it was Enterprise version for that money, totally different product.

1. G28
          FAIL

Regardless of the version

Generally I find if it says McAfee somewhere in the product you can count on it being a pile of shit.

4. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

"needs patching"? Needs removing, more like. And that's real work, too...

5. Anonymous Coward
    Facepalm

McAfee security product ..

Did anyone at McAfee test the security product for security before releasing to market?

1. Hollerith 1

Re: McAfee security product ..

Oh Mr Haflinger, you wit!

2. MrDamage Silver badge

Re: McAfee security product ..

Yep, it was tested right after they discovered John's bath salts and novelty straw.

6. Captain Badmouth
    Pirate

Problem in the Observer on Sunday 6th

"It's McAfee that our computer needs protection from"

WB of Leeds writes that he paid £49 (ffs!) to renew the "virus protection" on his computer but kept getting messages saying it was at risk and he needed to renew. His wife saw one message and paid again! The messages keep coming. He contacted McAfee "technical" and despite 2 "technicians" spending 2 hrs. on his computer they were unable to download the security software. He then received a phone call from a "manager" who told him they could not load the software because his computer had been infected by a "trojan bug" but it could be removed for £99! When he requested the return of his renewal payments the McAfee rep. put the phone down. This has not yet appeared on the Observer website for 6th Dec., hence my typing it up here- oh my rsi.

Just wondering whether the money was paid to McAfee or to the trojan overlords?

Just as effective in either case, methinks. :)

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

It's a feature

A couple of large multi-national companies...I won't name them, but one of them bought McAfee a few years back...tend to write special hard coded "trap doors" into complex software, for development purposes. As an example: a few older El Reg readers may recall the Microsoft Office application suite that got distributed with two CD-ROM keys. One key matched the sticker(s) on the package. The other key was "all ones". (11111-11111-11111-11111-11111)

I would guess that one of the McAfee developers forgot to re-enable password checking on a hard coded development access point. Oops.

Truth be told, I'm more concerned that coders/developers routinely defeat system security during development, than I am distressed about this particular exploit.

1. Steve K
      Angel

Re: It's a feature

As an older El Reg reader, I am reliably informed that the same key you mention, but with all "2"s worked also. Allegedly.

Might be hardcoded, or maybe it's some sort of weak hash collision(s) in the key validation mechanism.

Steve

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Oh dear

Username: SYSTEST

Password: UETP

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like