back to article Facebook kills Creative Labs, cuts support for mobile apps

Facebook has confirmed it is getting rid of its Creative Labs brand and axing three projects in what looks to be a strategic shift for the social giant. A spokesperson confirmed to The Register that Facebook will be removing its Snapchat-like phone app Slingshot, Riff (which only launched in April), and internet chat forum …

1. John Tserkezis

I read "Creative Labs" being owned by CrackBook, and paniced, thinking of the Creative Technologies of the soundblaster fame.

The first thing that came to mind was "oh the humanity".

1. PJF

My thought EXACTLY!

I still have C.L. Sound Blaster ISA board, with the spare IRQ jumpers, in the "mathomes of forgotten usefulness" collection.

2. Eric Olson

That was definitely the boat I was in. After learning otherwise, I wondered how Creative never sued Facebook, given both operate in the technology arena (yes, one was hardware and the other for social meanderings, but still).

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Creative Labs have NOTHING

to do with Farce Crook... or the Criminal Lust

If Creative Laboratory had (or may have) a /a group of/ I.P., lawyers (in the US) their worries would be non-existent (that is, if they have[had] any )

AFAIK, they've been around since the late (19) 80's up-to now-a-day SB64. I can remember buying a Sound Blaster card for my 80286 (maybe a '88 - too long ago;C.R.S. is kicking in..) to get 8-voice mono.

Now, they have a SB-64 with 7.1 audio.

They used to be a STANDARD:

PC : IBM / IBM combatable

Printer : Epson / Epson combatable

Audio : Sound Blaster / SB combatable

etc.

Now-a-days, some/most Mother Boards have built on (in) audio and vga. I can see C.Labs getting restitution off of fb,, if not/also Craigs Lust,

/rant

/nostalgia

1. Anonymous Coward
      Coat

Re: Creative Labs have NOTHING

Sir, the fact that you used your Sound Blaster to play combat video-games does not make your compatible audio card "combatable".

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"Sir, the fact that you used your Sound Blaster to play combat video-games does not make your compatible audio card "combatable"." - - not unless it has MIL-DTL connectors ....

1. Bluto Nash

It was part of the sound card wars. CL vs. Turtle Beach, Hercules, half of China, etc.

Combatable, indeed.

1. Eric Olson

I remember my Hercules Fortissimo II. It was a damn fine sound card. Outdid the Sound Blasters in the same price range and then some. Lasted me two computer builds, I think.

I think it made its way to the box of computer parts that needed to be recycled that some guy offered a few bucks for at our last garage sale. Memories.

2. KeithR

Sigh...

He's telling you that you can't spell.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like