back to article Mega Microsoft dev tools update includes Clang codegen for Windows

Microsoft has released Visual Studio 2015 Update 1 with a ton of new features, including an option to build Windows dynamic libraries with the open source Clang compiler. The developer team at Microsoft has been in overdrive these last few years, coping with the challenge of keeping up with the company's ever-changing platform …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Visual Studio 2015 is a huge product, but despite bloat and occasional instability....

You got that right. It's like something from the Office team.

2. Alan Bourke

VS, considering what it is, is pretty good.

Thank farg they've fixed that ridiculous palaver of having to re-authenticate the whole time if you're on an MSDN sub. I also hope the Git support is better.

3. dogged

Bloat?

I'd only call it bloat if some of the features which add size are deprecated or not useful.

Granted, I personally have no interest in code highlighting for Swift but presumably somebody does.

Out of interest, does the Register have a picture of Nadella where he doesn't look like he's struggling with a potentially fatal bout of constipation? At least you didn't call him "SatNad" this time, a practice which I note that executives with Anglo names are somehow spared.

It's pretty poor and likely to appeal to the same kind of casual racist who thinks "M Knight Shyamalamadingdong" is hilarious. Maybe you could call John Chen "John Chingchongchinaman" as well. Oh, how we laughed in the BNP canteen.

1. Voland's right hand Silver badge

Re: Bloat?

That does not look like an intestinal problem. That looks like the effort you put when you unscrew that imaginary head you are holding off the shoulders of the subject which carries it.

1. hplasm
        Happy

You would look constipated trying to push out Windows 10.

2. Planty Bronze badge

Microsoft desperately trying to stay relevant in a post Microsoft world, bundling everything in there , in the hope something might stop the rot into obsolescence that Microsoft has been suffering for the last 4 years or so.

I counted Microsoft vs *nix devices St home. *nix beat Microsoft by over 20:1. I suspect other people have similar stats.

I have no need for windows, office or anything Microsoft serve up.

1. dogged

> I counted Microsoft vs *nix devices St home. *nix beat Microsoft by over 20:1. I suspect other people have similar stats.

What a fascinating anecdote! And obviously, everyone else in the world is exactly like you.

2. fruitoftheloon

@planty Re: Bloat?

Planty,

You don't like windows??

Your lighting bill must be friggin enormous!

1. Planty Bronze badge

Re: @planty Bloat?

I have a PC that runs windows 10, I really dislike win 10, but keep it as I get alot of support calls from botched free upgrades.

My games console runs FreeBSD, my phones and tablets run Android, even my Sony DSLR runs Android, cleverly hidden.. My router runs Linux, my Qualcomm Allplay multiroom speakers all run some form of embedded Linux running alljoyn. Chromebook, Linux too....

Even my nest and LIFX bulbs run *nix of some description.

Microsoft are nowhere. They aren't needed for anything I do day to day. My only use of my PC is to run Android Studio. It could just as easilly run on Linux.

1. Vic

Even my nest and LIFX bulbs run *nix of some description.

A light bulb running Unix. Ye gods...

Vic.

1. hplasm
              Angel

"A light bulb running Unix. Ye gods..."

Why not? does one thing, and does it well.

Like windows - the glass ones...

2. Planty Bronze badge

Yes, very good they are too. If you are scared of technology, may I suggest stop visiting the internet, unplug, buy a typewriter and lots of books.

3. WP7Mango

Planty, I'm in a similar situation, except that for me I have no need for anything from Google or Apple, so I'm happy to be all in with Microsoft. There might be some hardware I have which runs some version of unix (no idea to be honest) but when it comes to software which I choose, it's always Microsoft, which is great.

Visual Studio is the best IDE for me, by a long way.

It's great to have the choice to go all in with your preferred platform.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"It's pretty poor and likely to appeal to the same kind of casual racist "

Foreigner with a chip on your shoulder by any chance?

1. dogged

> Foreigner with a chip on your shoulder by any chance?

Everyone's a foreigner somewhere. I am an Englishman working in England. Go back to your Britain First memes.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

"I am an Englishman"

Not to me you are not with that imported attitude.

"Go back to your Britain First memes."

Not heard of that before, but I see they are a political party with well over 1 million Facebook Followers, which seems to beat most others, so pretty mainstream.

LOL @ them drinking lager outside Anjem Choudry's mosque to campaign against his "muslim patrols" stopping English people drinking. Good non violent way of fighting back against some of these outrageously offensive foreigners.

1. dogged

One question - who upvoted the fascist?

Words of support for an openly "send 'em all back where they came from (regardless of how many generations they've lived here" group of meatheads does not make you look good, Anonymous Coward.

Not good at all.

4. JLV

>no interest in code highlighting for Swift

Seems like a pretty poorly chosen example. In any clever editor, language-sensitive code formatting is going to be coming from a generic parser module, to which you pass a language-specific grammar definition in text/json/xml form. Hardly the stuff bloat is made of.

Not to say VS is lacking in bloat elsewhere.

4. tiggity Silver badge

VS2015 as Win 10 bait

Worth noting that Windows Universal development is used to massively push Windows 10.

If you run VS2015 on Win 7, you can do nothing WUD related (bar the build of a project written on a "higher" version of the MS OS).

Really need

Even on 8.1 is this gem in the MS documentation "When running on OS earlier than Windows 10, some Visual Studio features for Windows Universal development may be degraded."

see: https://www.visualstudio.com/en-us/products/visual-studio-2015-compatibility-vs.aspx

1. Michael B.

Re: VS2015 as Win 10 bait

Well since Windows 7 doesn't come with the necessary runtime subsystems what do you expect to do on Windows 7 bar build the project? You can't run it or test it. (I'm actually surprised that you can run any Universal app on Windows 8/8.1 since they changed the runtime from 8/8.1 to 10.)

If you really wanted to stay on Windows 7 then you just need the Pro Edition and grab a disposable Windows 10 VM.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Boffin

VS?

Surely all El Reg readers just use MASM?

6. Anonymous Coward
    Coffee/keyboard

Visual Studio: Now with added telemetry

A source close to the matter explained: "we've put telemetry in everything! The first thing we did was to redefine what the word telemetry meant - now it's both the rapid path your data takes to our servers as well as the data itself! Then we had to add it to Visual Studio. Pretty much every function call now has added 'telemetry' goodness in it! Heck, we even did good old printf for a while until one of our servers crashed under the weight of too many "hello world!\n" strings sent in from around the globe. Your privacy is important to us: we strive hard and deep each day to make sure you don't have any."

When asked whether they enjoyed using Visual Studio With Added Telemetry Edition 2015 for their own personal projects, the spokesperson just laughed, explaining: "what, and have them know everything about me? Hell no - I do everything in Python in XEmacs on Linux" before being swiftly ushered out by a brittle-smiling PR person.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like