back to article Australian health records fed into big data maw ... because insight

While it continues to battle public indifference to personally-controlled electronic health records (PCEHRs), the Australian government is quietly looking for bright sparks to put forward ideas on how to use the records for analysis. The Australian Privacy Foundation has pointed to this tender from the government. In it, …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

They would sell their grandmothers

if they already hadn't sold them years ago.

They should stop looking at the Australian citizens as commodities to be sold to the highest overseas bidder.

2. Diogenes

Dr already has an note on file

Just curious, and a quick google shows that trials of the opt-out will begin next year - but when does the rest of the "opt-outedness" begin?

I would hate to think that I will be opted-in before I get a chance to opt-out.

3. NBNnigel

Fools and clowns

If they actually cared one bit about the public interest, they'd be handing the data to the ABS for free (given the ABS have decades of experience and expertise in confidentialising unit record data, and legislation that would see the Chief Statistician thrown in jail if they screwed up).

But evidently they just want to recover part of the $1bn or so that they've wasted due to their utter incompetence when it comes to IT. These clowns just don't get it. If they want to involve the private sector so badly, why not expose some simple APIs with a mandatory user authorisation step (i.e. OAUTH2/OpenID Connect)?

Oh that's right, they screwed that part up too with the abortion known as myGov.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like