back to article NetApp, now much more object storage than you’d think

NetApp, the company usually known for its FAS appliances, is putting a lot of effort into making its object storage platform, StorageGRID, more competitive. And it’s coming around to what I’ve been saying for a long time now: end users need “Flash & Trash” or, put more professionally, a two-tier storage strategy. Previously, I …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Nobody Cares

Game is OVER no matter how hard netapp marketing tries...Netapp is a datacenter dinosaur. they are slowly dying. many better platforms out there than they offer.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Nobody Cares

Thanks for the helpful post. If you could see what NetApp has in the hopper, you may not say that. Their demise has been highly exaggerated! Even now, 8.3.2 on AFF kicks ass. Don't fall into the FUD.

1. Trevor_Pott Gold badge

Absolutely! NetApp offer you the possibility of just adding more shelves to solve any problem for any reason! Forget your archaic conceptualization of "value for dollar" or "storage that is suited to the needs of the customer". Just add a shelf and keep adding shelves until your datacenter's primary workload is ONTAP, with some other things that are an excuse for ONTAP to be deployed.

NetApp!

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Drinking your own Kool Aid is precisely what is the leading contributor to Netapp's demise.

AFF isn't doing it no matter how much spin your company puts into into. All FrankenFlash (AFF) Storage and glamorous "unit" % increase claims by counting controllers is a good indication "this horse ain't got no legs"

2. JohnMartin

-Disclosure NetApp Employee -

Whether you count AFF sales by controller counts, raw capacity, effective capacity, or revenue the success and adoption of the product into the market has been impressive. Based on the analysis I've done within my area of concern growth in both percentage and absolute terms has already overtaken most of the early all flash pioneers.

Part of that success is driven by major advancements in the underlying technology such as the 400% performance boost from ONTAP 8.2 to 8.3, high speed inline adaptive compression with no performance impact in 8.3.1, and inline deduplication and 3D-TLC drive support in 8.3.2. On average there has been a significant software improvement delivered every six months, and there's plenty more stuff in the pipeline. The other thing that is driving the success is the fact that it's not just a speeds'n'feeds storage unit, but forms part of a broad data management foundation that works from flash, to disk, to cloud.

If you've got the time, and you're interested in how that roadmap is likely to evolve, and how NetApp will help customers use object storage and storage class memory technologies to support their transition to a hybrid-cloud based datacenter, then I'd suggest you arrange a five year 2020 strategy and vision presentation under NDA, or refer to this white paper http://www.netapponcloud.com/hubfs/Data-Fabric/datafabric-wp.pdf

Regards

John Martin

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2022