back to article We chew over CCS Insight's look into the fu-ture-ture-ture-ture

Analyst outfit CCS Insight's annual crystal ball gazing exercise is always informative and occasionally uncanny, such as when it predicted Three would buy O2, and BT would respond by snapping up EE. This year's predictions are out and full of interesting bits and bobs. For example, you probably knew people are abandoning …

1. Matthew Smith

AMD goes bust

Followed by Intel announcing that they are cutting back research on desktop processors, citing them as a dead end and the future is mobile. The Intel I7 Skylake will be the last pure desktop processor released for several years.

2. tiggity Silver badge

tap to pay?

" there's a real convenience to tapping a fitness band or watch to pay, over getting your wallet out of your pocket or bag, and then getting your card out of your wallet. Card clash has made payments more challenging."

.. Maybe in a fantasy land of fast service where you have not spent ages just queueing for the privilege of paying for some goods: In the average UK shop queue, enough time to digest a substantial chunk of "War and Peace", never mind get a wallet / purse out of pocket / bag, and have a card in your hand available to pay.

whilst sitting in dreary supermarket queues casually watching other shoppers transactions, it's not just about payment method - other stuff such as "loyalty cards" (aka shopper trackers) - I have noticed increasing prevalence of people having "mini" key fob size loyalty card(s) on their key ring & using those when they get their nectar, match & more / whatever loyalty scheme points.

Given the incrementing maximum allowed on contactless cards, a key fob size contactless card could be quite popular with these shoppers doing a small price shop - & key fob contactless card a *lot* cheaper than a smart watch, & avoids the please mug me message an iwatch gives

3. Alister
    Mushroom

We're all DOOMED! Doomed, I tell ye...

4. VinceH

[On IoT] "It's a ridiculous phrase"

Yup. I've long since called it a nonsense term (there were already 'things' connected to the internet before this phrase came along to refer to other 'things').

Plus it lacks 'unwanted' - which for me is often the case with these other 'things' : iOUT!

1. Michael Wojcik Silver badge

I find myself plagued by the Incessantly Discussed Internet Of Things Syndrome, or IDIOTS.

So here's hoping the Bonus Prediction comes true.

As for the rest of them, they leave me cold. I too have no interest in shaving a second off paying for things; if I'm making purchases in person that often, or with so little margin for delay, then I'm living my life wrong. I find "wearables" as compelling as hipster mustaches. &c.

Now I'm off to the porch rocker to excoriate lawn-intruding youths.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

2016 has ended. Care to followup?

2016 has ended. Care to followup?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like