back to article Fraudsters are using you and this Ammyy of malware downloads

Users of Ammyy Admin may have been unwittingly downloading malware along with their remote desktop software. A group called the Buhtrap gang is using the malware to spy on and control its victims’ computers as part of a series of targeted attacks, net security firm ESET warns. The tactics in play show that fraudsters are …

1. Your alien overlord - fear me

Don't the Ammyy website admins bother checking to see if they're offering up malware or is it all a big cyber-scam?

2. x 7

every installation, and every installer, of Ammyy that I've seen has had spyware or malware bundled with it.

As far as I can see the ONLY people who use it are the spammers.....

3. Noonoot

Non-serious companies attract non-serious users

I don't believe for one second that Ammyy software is used by banks and other top companies. Their web page content is as trustworthy as their software. Use a professional remote access software, not these scAMMYY applications. Oh and I am not going to nominate the other alternative, that's just as bad and used for scams as well as by sexperts online.

4. Shadow Systems

They're in my Hosts file.

The only time I've ever been directed to visit that site is from "Windows Tech Support" scammers, so there's no way in hell I'll allow my computer to connect to it.

If my financial institution tried to get me to install it, I'd change institutions so fast it made their head spin.

A bank has no need to access my computer beyond my web browser logging into their site, otherwise there's *no* valid reason for them to need to remote into my computer.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like