back to article Micron has three bits between its PC disk-killing flash teeth

Micron is targeting consumers and SMBs with a disk-replacing three bit Crucial-brand SSD. This BX200 triple-level cell (TLC) 2.5-inch flash drive uses Micron NAND chips, 16nm ones, and comes in 270GB, 480GB and 960GB capacity levels. It is driven by a Silicon Motion SM2256 controller operating Micron firmware. The basic …

1. This post has been deleted by its author

1. Chris 244
      Unhappy

Actual reviews are ... not good

The thing is slow slow slow. Significantly slower than what it replaces. Slower even than Micron's very first SATA 6Gb/s drive. As slow as spinning rust under some workloads.

TL;DR Slow

1. tacitust

Re: Actual reviews are ... not good

Initial reviews have not been good, but remember "slow" is a relative term. Compared with the standard 500GB HDDs that come in most laptops these days, the BX200 is still blazingly fast.

2. 404

Only three year warranty?

I've been replacing my office and home HDs with Samsung Pro 850 SSDs for OS/program drives after comparing all the manufacturers. Of all the SSDs I looked at, only Samsung & Sandisk offer a 10 year warranty, but the Samsung Pro has a higher endurance spec than the Sandisk and has faster read/writes than this new Micron product.

Love the Samsung 850 Pro, my office dev machine goes from cold boot to Win8.1 login in <6 seconds - color me impressed.

3. Steve Knox
    Meh

Meh.

You can buy better-performing SSDs from Sandisk or Mushkin at the same price. Or you can buy a similar-sized, albeit slower, WD HDD for 1/6th the price.

Disk-replacing? I hardly think so. These are low-end SSDs being sold at the price range moderate-level SSDs have been sitting at for the past six months. They need to move the performance up or the price down.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like