back to article Chef kicks off London conference with buyout and product releases

Chef served up a surprise acquisition and a flurry of enterprise friendly product releases at its UK summit today. However, the automation developer also yanked a trio of recent builds of its Reporting product. Chef said it had “recently acquired” a German security software outfit, Vulcanosec, which markets a Compliance …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Chef!

Chef? Which Chef?

I mean seriously, that a useless company name.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Chef!

I was expecting Ramsay

None the wiser after reading that thing

Perhaps he's diversified?

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Jamie Oliver

Now there a truly useless git...

3. JLV

Re: Chef!

I suggest you forego browsing through their docs then. All the tools are themed as well... knife, testkitchen, foodcritic... Definitely would turn you off your wheaties.

Wonder if the Quebecker contributor from Linux Journal, or Linux Mag, has had a stab at it.

"Mes amis, have a seat and let us try out a new installation system. Some wine, please, we will need much of it to fortify ourselves through this journey."

2. batfastad

Puppet

Ever tried installing Chef Server on CentOS/RHEL?

A 400MB RPM, 2GB installed size, flaky as hell. And not even a repo.

That's assuming you've managed to find the community edition through all the upselling - though the Puppet site is just as bad in that respect.

1. Dadmin
      Facepalm

Re: Puppet

They are all like that, SaltStack too. The software builds and releases are great, but the online documentation is an afterthought at best and a Swiss cheese party more than likely. As with many of the open sores projects the docs are best looked at via a man page. Just trying to get a working playtime chef env was a trial, and they corral you through their online recipe site, then hide parts of the demo software in there so you have to register. SaltStack is pretty fucking easy to get going, in my opinion. Chef, not so much, but I am learning it for a new job, so if I get that; Chef's going in my sack, if not; goodbyeeeeeeeee.

This is just the way of things. Crappy, highly-exspensivily-supported-enterprisy-call-in-for-steve-from-new-delhi type software is a middle-tier managers wet dream. No one ever got fired for buying Microsoft, but they should have been. Why think of a great solution, or bother to hire those awful expensive admins who always talk back because they know their shit, when you can let some other douche pay and handle it, and you can get back to your meetings, mochas, and minecraft? The path of least thinking is usually the way to go when you have someone else's funds to bargain with. This is the way of the big enterprise; pay-for-support for free software delivered by the cheapest admins money can buy. Security? What's that? Sounds more expensive, we aren't a target, so lets forgo that and get a virus scanner for my manager desktop and anything that begins with "cloud".

3. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

Guten Appetit!

Fancy a cream puff for pudding?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2021