Badly behaving Disney ad

This topic was created by Vimes .

1. Vimes

Badly behaving Disney ad

A small video advert for Disneyland has been appearing on the right hand column of the page (so beneath what is initially visible on the page).

The problem is the sound seems to be enabled by default. It's annoying when I have more than one tab open, trying to watch netflix in one of them, only to have an annoying f***ing voice - getting all excited about going somewhere that put simply I'm neither looking for nor am interested in in the other one.

The tab is open for a while so it might not happen on the first loop (it does seem to loop though). At no point have I even hovered over the advert - which would be annoying but at least easier to understand what caused it.

This is not the first time that sound has caused a problem. I'm not sure if the sloppiness is on your end or that of the ad network but either way sound in adverts seems to cause more problems than it's worth.

IMO you need to make more of an effort to stop this, otherwise yet more people will end up adblockers (I for one am tempted to do so already after the obnoxious crap you've allowed to be shown on your site on multiple occasions now). Can't sound be something else banned from adverts displayed on your site?

2. This post has been deleted by its author

1. Vimes

Not sure - either way it's still annoying. It's even worse if you happen to be in the office too. Thankfully our office PCs don't have speakers, but hearing that at certain intervals even if it is during lunch hour probably wouldn't go down well.

3. Vimes

Personally speaking I don't even see what sound adds to the adverts in the first place, beyond making them more obnoxious. Can you think of any adverts you were persuaded to click because of the sound?

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. TeeCee Gold badge

Only the ones that had a mute button.......

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon