back to article SQL Server 2016, now with vitamin R: Microsoft emits new preview

Microsoft is releasing a new preview of SQL Server 2016, including integration with the R language for statistical analysis. In April 2015, Microsoft completed the acquisition of Revolution Analytics, a commercial provider of software and services for the open source R language. The new Community Tech Preview of SQL Server …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Lots of new features...

Probably lots of new cost, in fact, I think the per processor license fee is shown in the article graphic.

1. Anonymous Bullard

Re: Lots of new features...

SQL Server is now powerful enough to work the pricing out?

Must be good!

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Lots of new features...

"Probably lots of new cost"

But still a fraction of the cost (and a fraction of the security vulnerabilities) of an Oracle option....

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Optimizer

So, did they fix the optimizer to work on very large databases with vast numbers of files and filegroups?

Thought not.

If MS would just get the basics right, it would go a long way to improving the product.

(I have a long list of sub-optimal and broken features classed as "will not fix" and some of them are incorrect results returned. Still not good enough!)

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Optimizer

Ummm, if the capabilities around Very Large databases does not currently exist in SQL Server, then the likely uptake of that capability in the present or in the future is going to be very small. On the other hand, adding such capabilities to Azure would make a ton of sense as you not only have a small chance, versus none with existing VLdb owners, of uptake and there's a real chance of uptake by all the players now and in the future in "The Cloud." If nothing else, they may kick the tires to see if a "Big Data" play may make sense and when it does, sign up with Microsoft.

The players in that market have, to date, had trench-lines dug and artillery pointed every-which direction. I can't see any firm porting to another DMBS of any type. Your chances are much higher for any kind of "greenfield" play. Know thy customer applies to potential customers too.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

VLDB != Hadoop, NoSQL

I am talking about very large highly structured databases against which SQL queries can be syntactically be defined and which work (i.e. are optimized more or less correctly) for databases which have few file groups. The fact of the matter is that one can have 10s of thousands of file groups and support tables with 100s of billions of rows and the DDL syntax and engine were extended to support this in SQLServer.

The problem is, a simple query might take several days to optimize because the optimizer is a broken piece of shit is such cases. This is not a secret, but MS is completely unconcerned about this fact and dissemble on the subject whenever it is broached in support.

MS has a strategy to support "large databases", but are unwilling to fix the basic functionality required to do so, relying on "check box" functionality that is unusable in reality. These are the facts on the ground!

Moving it to Azure won't solve the issue either, and the sort of optimization problem I am alluding to, and they CANNOT be solved by the addition of hardware.

Down votes are an indication that there are clueless morons in the world.

2. the_poet

Hi,

what bugs / missing features are you talking about regarding VLDBs handling?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like