back to article Shopping mall CCTV gear commandeered to blast websites offline

Crooks are hijacking CCTV cameras in shopping malls to launch denial-of-service attacks, datacenter security firm Imperva warns. The abuse is possible because camera operators are taking a lax approach to security and failing to change default passwords on the devices. CCTV equipment are common Internet-of-Things (IoT) device …

1. Steve Aubrey

CCTV, really? I see what you did . . .

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Many CCTV systems are.....

directly connected to the Internet by trunkslammers that couldn't give a damn about network security, don't change default passwords/usernames etc. Cheap IP video recorders are (poorly) designed to allow remote connections of multiple kinds and as long as the owner or manager can see the cameras on their iPhone, no one cares if the network is secure. Typically, there are no VPN's being used on these "appliances" and these guys don't know what a firewall is (other than something you automatically disable if you run into one).

However, when we include the labor required to do all the things that responsible IT professionals are supposed to do for security, we become laughably uncompetitive.

3. MyffyW Silver badge

A few years ago an airfield near me had a CCTV in the control tower that seemed somewhat unrestricted. A healthy respect for the Computer Misuse Act prevented my less benevolent side from probing quite how far you could go.

1. John Tserkezis

"A healthy respect for the Computer Misuse Act prevented my less benevolent side from probing quite how far you could go."

Probably just as well you didn't tell them either. That class of idiot is so misguided, they'll likely throw the book at anyone who even appears to know what's going on.

1. TRT Silver badge

Air traffic control hacking? That would land you a fine.

4. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

Proliferation

This sort of thing will increase as the Internet of Unsecure Things™ grows. Fridges and toasters ganging up to take websites down. Frankly, after Talkie the Toaster this doesn't surprise me very mich, but it does annoy me.

1. Sgt_Oddball

Re: Proliferation

Now if only we could jam the hackers into the waste recycling like the afore mentioned toaster was?

2. Mark 85

And when the IoUT acquires AI, we're doomed. I wish I knew if I was joking on this .....

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Clever use of a non-existent word to make your phrase trademarkable !

</pedant>

1. TheTor

http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/unsecure

4. phuzz Silver badge

At one of our clients they have hosts called Fridge, Kettle, Toaster, and (for slightly different reasons) Stockpot.

Ok, I admit I named fridge by looking round the office and naming it after the first kitchen appliance I saw, ut in my defence, it's a good name for a server, easy to spell, relatively distinct, what's not to like?

5. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

ISTM that the only way round this is to add a requirement for type approval that a device have its default creds only effective for an initial login and at initial login the user must enter new values before it will become operational. A factory reset will restore the defaults and the user must then enter new values again. In order for this to become effective there must be no means of carrying out a remote factory reset.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Bring it after me.

I will not be afraid of death and bane,

Till Russel Hobbs Toasters come to Dunsinane.

7. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Nothing new.....

...unfortunately you've been able to connect and control IP cameras for donkey years.

Here is the first one I ever used.

http://www.coresecurity.com/content/axis-network-camera-http-authentication-bypass

Later on, a simple search on Hotbot, AltaVista or WebCrawler would conveniently return the results of every open camera out there, oh the joys of pointing cameras at walls, ceilings and random objects in the shop.

They never learn, connect first, worry about security later.

8. Medical Cynic

"The otherwise run-of-the-mill assault consisted of"

Shouldn't that be "The otherwise run-of-the-mAll assault consisted of"?

9. Cuddles

I can't help feeling the term "closed circuit" may not have quite the same meaning it used to. Perhaps if we started using the rather more accurate name "webcam" people might get a better idea of how secure they are.

1. Brewster's Angle Grinder Silver badge

Does the entire internet not meet your definition of a "closed circuit"?

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

We are watching...always watching.

I remember an anonymous posting a few years back on a notorious website I need not name, whereby a page was linked that had a whole heap of those cheap IP cams listed. They were mainly inside peoples homes (including bedrooms). These cams were not 'hacked' per se because they were just hooked up to the net with their default passwords and were most likely very easily harvested by anyone interested in doing so.

If you put technology of this kind into the hands of idiots expect certain consequences to unfold.

Of course in the 'look at me' generation we now have some sites where people willingly allow cams to 'spy' on them 24/7.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like