back to article Microsoft Azure now goes with Google's Go

Microsoft has added “experimental support” for the open-source Go programming language, developed by Google, on the Azure App Service, part of its cloud platform. Go, announced in 2009 and released in 2012, was designed for programming large software systems. In common with languages such as Java and C#, it was born out of the …

1. tiggity Silver badge

No surprise

PHP & Java available ages ago on Azure, Python support a few years now. If demand is there they will support it and monetize it (profit is the key).

Azure is very .NET friendly, as you would expect, but why limit themselves to a small niche?

e.g. Linux VMS have been available on Azure for ages.

2. elDog

Importantly, Go is a good evolution of the C idiom

It's pretty rare that anyone can re-invent a full language/support that has some critical mass from the start.

Even Java took several years to be considered a worthy language for business-class apps. Having Ms. Google as the underlying supporter is not bad in the supportive-role sense. And really not bad in the other senses since the dogfood is eaten by everyone.

I'm a big fan of the "C"-class languages vs. the sloppy-indentation style of Python/etc. I also like the strict requirements for dependency management (if you say you're going to use it, you damn well better.)

I'm sure there will be better/different ways of dealing with software development problems. Go is definitely a big step in the right direction.

1. Joeman

Re: Importantly, Go is a good evolution of the C idiom

If you indent your C code correctly, why do you need the curly brackets?

Curly brackets and semicolons are a waste of keystrokes. Pythons use of indentation and no line terminator is far superior to old fashioned C-Style languages.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Facepalm

Thunderbirds are Go!

4. brainout

Devil1 and Devil2?

But I don't want to run anything on Azure. Due to aka.ms/msa I need to boycott EVERYTHING MSFT sells, as it's selling tyranny to anyone using Win10 or the 'services' in that aka. So now boycott Google too? What will it take?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like