back to article ARM floats power-sipping Mali-470 GPU for Internet of Things things

ARM has launched the Mali-470 GPU for Internet of Things (IoT) with - the firm claims - half the power consumption of the Mali-400. The Mali-470 targets wearables but could be used in lower-end smartphones as it supports OpenGL ES 2.0 - necessary for Android Wear. Mali is best paired with the Cortex-A7s and A53s for optimal …

1. Anonymous Blowhard

Take that, other chip shops!

2. Robert Moore

Quake?

Cool, but how many FPS playing Quake?

(I know, I am old. Deal with it!)

3. fnj
    FAIL

Insanity

Who the heck needs a DISPLAY on their hipster necktie, or smart light bulb? Is someone clueless about what Internet of Things MEANS?

4. Hawkeye Pierce

Ummm, ignoring the wisdom/benefit of internetifying (yes I know,..) these things, off the top of my head, I would imagine all of the following could/would benefit from a display of some sort:

- thermostat

- entrance system

- burglar alarm

- video phone

- media controller

- various health devices

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

At Last!!!

At long last I can now have my dream wearable - an IoT Connected Spinning Bow Tie, complete with flashing LEDs all controlled from my smart phone!!

1. Teddy the Bear

Re: At Last!!!

That, sir, would be excellent festive attire. Away with you to the inventing shed - and put me down for a dozen!

6. wstallwood

IoT ?

Feels like IoT has just been dropped into this article to make it "relevant" How is a smartphone GPU relevant in the IoT space ? How many of the regular IoT target device types actually need a GPU ?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like