back to article New NBN build plan full of linguistic holes that will explain away delays

nbnTM, the organisation building Australia's national broadband network (NBN) has revealed a glorious three year construction plan it says will see “9.5 million homes and businesses” on the network “by September 2018.” The plan, (PDF), was announced in a press release in which newly-minted communications minister Mitch Fifield …

1. Medixstiff

My mother lives in Halls head, Western Australia, there's two dates for that September 2015 for FTTP services and Q2 2016 for FTTN services. Considering checking her address on the NBN site says "The rollout of the nbn™ network has not started yet in this location." I'm guessing she will be stuck on FTTN.

The people I rent from were told three months ago that NBN would be in my area - West Perth - in Jan-Feb 2016, however the roll out plan shows Q4 2016. As I was under the impression NBN deals directly with body corporates, someone at NBN Co. either hasn't got a clue or is telling porkies to the body corporate.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

someone at NBN Co. either hasn't got a clue or is telling porkies to the body corporate

Or all of the above.

2. Phil Kingston

Or, more likely, the property owners misunderstood what they were told/whoever told it them didn't ensure understanding, then it's further confused when being relayed to you.

Or even a minor data error in the scheduling.

All of the above happen. Regularly. And don't necessarily indicate incompetence or a lack of integrity. Though for nbn, you don't have to look too hard for that.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Fak'n it

Worse than that. It's VDSL mainly, so they could just dump a bunch of equipment in the nearest exchange/node, change nothing else, and say they had made rolled out the NBN. The multimode stuff takes less work than that, and the satellite stuff just relies on that satellite they just launched working OK.

Lies, damn lies, and government pronouncements.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Not Bloody Never

Moving in 3 years.

First piece of research for the new place is NBN footprint and type.

Second is house and neighborhood.

4. Overcharged Aussie

Well their new rollout plan is a little confusing. Our location (Albany Creek, QLD) like a lot of other locations just dropped off their maps 2 years ago. The new rollout plan has two entries for the Albany Creek Region:

Region..Areas..Est Premises..Anticipated Technology..Expected date to commence

Albany Creek..Albany Creek, Eatons Hill..5600..HFC..H1-2016

Albany Creek..Clear Mountain, Eaton's Hill..3300..FTTN..H2-2016

Only problem with that lot is that most of Albany Creek doesn't have HFC. NBN really have to learn how to explain themselves better. Will the part of Albany Creek without HFC be done along with Clear Mountain and Eatons Hill or are NBN still gazing up their own fundamental orifices? I think I know the answer.

5. Jasonk

Over building Over building

Now in the now NBN is overbuilding existing other networks

https://delimiter.com.au/2015/10/17/nonsensical-farce-nbn-massively-overbuilding-canberras-fttn-with-more-fttn/

6. -tim
    FAIL

How about businesses?

With so much moving to the cloud, our collection of DSL links are way overloaded and the speed seems to drop by the week as more and more of the buckets are showing up with less than optimal bits per bucket. One site that is close to an exchange where we getting more than 20mb to Internode is now pushed back to the default profile for noisy lines.

Meanwhile fibre out more than about 15 km from the CBD hasn't just stalled, its dead. I have a bunch of people tyring to get connections but the ISPs won't play. If it wasn't $10 per meter install, I would be looking at dark fiber.

I still wonder who is going to do all this work. Unless the auto makers have been running Node/fiber install classes for the past few months, there simply aren't enough people to even consider this type of rollout in that time frame.

1. Jasonk

Re: How about businesses?

Considering its taken about 2 years to connect 50 premises and they expect to connect 6 million in the next 2 year what a laugh

7. DanielR

It's so they can say something is happening without doing much at all. That is why they bought back the HFC which was due for being decommissioned. To slap something together and call it an NBN that has no upgrade paths to fibre or will have to be upgraded to fibre at more costs.

It's electoral fraud.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like