back to article It's GOBBLE TIME: Dell set for EMC offer today

Dell will table its bid for EMC on Monday, according to a Reuters report from Sunday. If the deal is revealed on Monday it will signal Dell's urgency to get it done: Monday is a federal holiday for Columbus day. The report also says that Dell's bid will be non-exclusive, meaning EMC will be free to tape “Buy Me” to its back …

1. Andy Non Silver badge
    Meh

Not had much luck trying to buy from Dell.

Maybe not directly related to the article, but I've never had much success trying to buy from Dell:

First tried many years ago and had a technical query about something. Sent an email to their support dept and got a ten page reply back from what they called a "robot" giving various answers to my technical question; none of the answers actually related to my question. I thought at the time that if this was a reflection on their pre-sales support I dread to think what their post-sales support was like. I bought a computer from elsewhere.

Some years later I was in the market for another PC so tried Dell again. I spent ages specifying a desktop computer to meet my needs only to hit a wall "Sorry, UK delivery only." Attempted to order the same kit via Dell here in France but couldn't get Windows in British English nor a UK keyboard. I bought a computer from elsewhere.

Many years later (the other day) I tried again. I'm now in the market for a Linux computer. Typed in "Linux desktop" on Dell's site search and got a page full of Windows desktop computers. Duh. So I will be buying from... elsewhere.

Maybe I'm an exception, a difficult customer. Or maybe others experience similar problems and that is why Dell is facing "consolidation" with another company.

1. Snorlax Silver badge
      Facepalm

Re: Not had much luck trying to buy from Dell.

Yeah you're right - your post has nothing to do with the article but well done for getting a linux reference in there anyway, as if anybody cared..

2. ToddR

Re: Not had much luck trying to buy from Dell.

Andy,

This is about enterprise storage, servers and networking kit, in competition with IBM, HP, Cisco etc and not really about crap desktop PC support from 10 years ago

2. Mikel

Bounce back

Mike must be doing something right.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Bounce back

Bounce back? Michael Dell does believe companies can bounce back...

When asked what he'd do with Apple if he were in Jobs' shoes, Dell said:

What would I do? I'd shut it down and give the money back to the shareholders.

What a Cupid Stunt that Micael Dell is.

3. Jo_seph_B

Done Deal

Done deal then at 67Billion!!

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Yes, it's incredible how much people phonebooks are valued today...

... the systems to store them after all are easier to buy.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Should be interesting to watch the space for Compute and Storage, and given that compute is largely a commodity now it would be the storage play. Storage as an industry was looking down the barrel at Cloud, how does this deal change the dynamics specially for nowhere corporate like NetApp. NetApp was never in the enterprise class, living in the departmental trenches leveraging not product or sales or marketing but the reach of VARs to get its numbers. With Cloud that business is pretty much downhill and whatever little is left is being divvied up by smarter upstarts like Pure, Nimble and Nutanix. Question remains if someone like IBM or Cisco take pity on them and buy them out ?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like