back to article MariaDB bakes native encryption into 10.1RC - with some Google loving

MariaDB is beefing up security with the latest upgrade of the open source database, MariaDB 10.1, courtesy of encryption technology donated by Google. The upgrade can be downloaded today as a release candidate and general availability is slated for October. By migrating to 10.1, current MariaDB and MySQL users can natively and …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Certainly the right direction. Anyone know how far this is from "safe to actually use"?

Also is the Google code embedded code or using live stuff from the Googlesphere?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

No idea, and I'd assume it's C++ as this is pure backend software. I don't care; I'm on 5.6, and eyeing Postgres.

Bigger question is, what's the point of encryption when the key is left in the lock?

1. trickyearlobe

The keys are managed by plugins.

The commercial EPERI plugin allows keys to be stored and managed on a separate system (and optionally the encryption can be run there too).

If you prefer to manage your keys some other way, you can write your own plugins.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like