back to article Just WHO is hiring a 'Cloud Transformation Director' for £162,000? Actually YOU are

HMRC is advertising for a "cloud transformation director" at a salary of up to £162,000 per year, as part of a bid to claw its IT back from Capgemini. The government is looking at ways to wriggle out of its mega £10.7bn Aspire contract with Capgemini by 2017, which underpins its collection of £500bn in tax each year. Around …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Sign me up

Can we have a link to the job spec, please? I've drafted my cover letter already: it's along the lines of "I can, with over 90% accuracy, identify a computer from a random selection of household objects." I'm just a bit worried that marks me out as overqualified compared to their usual applicants. Should I beat my head against the desk until I'm down to a 60% success rate?

1. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

Re: Sign me up

You don't need to recognise a computer at all - that's the point of the cloud.

Ability to recognise a cloud may be an advantage

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"Ability to recognise a cloud may be an advantage"

I can quote Wordsworth, does that count?

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

I'm not qualified at all. In fact, I've looked at clouds from both sides now, from up and down and still, somehow, it's cloud illusions I recall. I really don't know clouds at all

2. sysconfig
      Pint

Have an upvote and a beer... paid for by a taxpayer!

2. Velv
    Coat

What's the day rate if I take it on as a Contractor?

3. adnim
    Unhappy

"politically astute leader..."

WTF?

They want a player/grifter and not an IT professional?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: "politically astute leader..."

And there you see just why all government IT is in such a ball up state - no direction from anyne that knows what they are doing.

The same applies to those that write the government contracts.

2. DiViDeD

Re: "politically astute leader..."

I think the selection process will comprise a couple of old political crusties in the Commons smoking room and will be along the lines od:

"Well, y'know, my youngest gel is looking for something. She was running the PR company I set up - you know, the one we awarded the contract for raising Call me Dave's profile? Well now I've got her this flat in Shoreditch and she's really grasped this IT business. Last week she synced my iPhone for me and only lost half my contacts, so she's a bit of a tech wizard. And £162,000 would be handy for holidays and things. I think she'd be perfect. Another sherry, minister?"

4. Pascal Monett Silver badge

Reminds me of . . .

. . the Transport Muggins.

He will be the lightning rod to take all the blame for whoever else never agrees on anything or changes their mind every Friday after lunch.

5. Tim 11

yeah that'll work

because if there's one thing the public sector is better at than outsourcing IT, it's running it's own IT.

6. BenBell
    Coffee/keyboard

So the government needs to move from an archaic hosted setup to an in-house cloud?! (inherantly not in-house!)

I suppose with logic like that, the answer couldn't be anything other than hiring managers/directors.

Sign me up! I can computer...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Cloud != Internet.

7. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
    Pint

"The breadth, variety and complexity of these systems and the business processes they support are on a scale rarely seen in other global organisations,"

"Our superfund site sports challenges rarely seen elsewhere! The chemicals are astonishingly plentiful, nasty and medical knowledge about their long-term effects is nil. They are also very near the aquifer that feeds a largish town nearby."

"politically astute leader, with experience of delivering large (£50million+) infrastructure transformation projects, across complex IT systems"

"Needs to have stirred the martini and be buddy with all the right careerhounds"

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Just once it might be "invigorating" to see one of these that requires the candidate lack political skills at all. There's times that call for leaving cleat marks down the front or back of anyone in your path.

I speak from experience ;-).

9. Anonymous Coward
    Facepalm

Cloud transformation is it? Just follow the GDS Digital by Design handbook o' digital design principles -

1) All web pages in 18 point Comic Sans

Err that's it! Those GDS boys don't really do detail!

10. Erik4872

The cycle continues...

I have seen this so many times, in large companies, governments, you name it, over a 20+ year career. It's almost as regular as a pulsar -- the outsource-insource cycle.

1. Newly minted MBA turned CIO sees massive IT savings on a spreadsheet provided by a large outsourcing vendor, signs multi-year deal outsourcing "routine IT tasks."

2. Good internal people quit, vendor takes over and tries to migrate the customer to their "standard operations framework" of this year. The rest of internal IT gets fed up and quits, or is quietly fired by the outsourcer.

3. Vendor now has control of most of IT and a huge wall of process exists to get anything done anymore.

4. IT is declared an "inflexible shambles" and plans are made to bring it back in house.

The only thing that's different now is the existence of "The Cloud" which only serves to hasten a vendor's takeover of internal IT. The cycle remains the same though, and probably will forever.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like