back to article vAdmins facing DUAL vSphere upgrades

Brace yourself, vAdmins: the first major update for vSphere 6.0 is coming, probably in late September, and a more major update is in the works. vSphere 6.0 debuted in March 2015 after a lengthy beta process. VMware has this week proclaimed it the most successful vSphere release ever, in terms of take-up rate. But we've been …

1. picturethis
    Meh

6? - What about us 5.5 users?

I'm (we're) still waiting for 5.5 U3. It was supposed to be here around May. I just saw a reference in an HP alert email to 5.5 U3, but nothing from VMWare yet.

Moving to 6 is a ways off for me and moving proprietary IP that is the lifeblood of the company contained in those VMs into the cloud is pretty far away, regardless of how easy it will be to move them.

Ease of the technology isn't the issue, appropriateness is. Our IP is nestled nice and cosy right in our racks, not accessible to the outside world, right where it needs to be. At least for now and the foreseeable future.

Just remember, how a company treats its customers (and earlier products) is how eventually vSphere 6 users will be treated once vSphere 7 comes out. So message to VMWare: Don't ignore your 5.5 users, just yet....

2. Calleb III

Must... shove... cloud... down... customer throats...

"to encourage users who don't go far beyond server virtualisation into the cloud. Such users know about cloud and understand it, but aren't moving."

Wise men

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Cloud pricing

Until VMware gets competitive for cloud services (and 2x AWS is NOT competitive, no matter how they try to spin it), I won't even consider it.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

But...Why a Photo of Chicago

Here's proof, in case anyone needs it:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Chicago,+IL/@41.8731666,-87.6353759,457a,20y,11.52h,81.95t/data=!3m1!1e3!4m2!3m1!1s0x880e2c3cd0f4cbed:0xafe0a6ad09c0c000!6m1!1e1?hl=en

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2022