back to article UK.gov claims 'success' over SME broadband scheme

The government has admitted to falling substantially short of its original target to hand small businesses £100m in broadband vouchers. The Broadband Connection scheme was launched at the end of 2013 to provide grants for faster web access of up to £3,000, but the Department for Culture, Media and Sport confirmed today that …

1. Will Godfrey Silver badge
    Meh

O Riley?

I don't know where they advertised it? Maybe Arthur Dent does.

2. Martin Summers Silver badge

They need not have advertised it at all, the leased line companies were pushing it without their help. Put simply it's not enough to cover upwards of 12k install costs where I got a quote for and for some reason the telcos think they can fleece you more for the photons to go a bit further than they normally do out into the rurals. Who is really going to sign up for 1k a month for a 10/100 for 3 years?

3. Disgruntled of TW
    Facepalm

Ed still doesn't understand ... wast of time

There's nothing to spend it on. By giving BT the BDUK money, maintaining their monopoly, anything that isn't FTTC remains esoteric or too expensive. None of the Kent County Council ISPs could offer me FTTP when I called them up and asked them. FTTP is the only solution with a future, and far too expensive or just not available.

The fact that Ed Vaisey calls this voucher campaign a success underpins why people are disillusioned by politics in general. Utter nonsense, tantamount to lipstick on the pig that is BDUK support of FTTC as our future.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The scheme was a bit crap..

But it worked ok for us..

I was looking to order a 1Gb leased line from Virgin, as a very good supplier told us about it, we did get given £3,000 toward the installation cost, which was a great help in convincing the bean-counters to approve the budget!

Though truth be told - never order a leased line from Virgin, it took 7 months to get it installed.. Ordered in June last year, had 5 different "survey" visits to the site. Which was ridiculous, cause in the end they discovered they already had a 24 core connection coming into the building and simply connected us to that!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: The scheme was a bit crap..

Not an unusual story whoever you lease it from.

5. Fuzz

rental cost

As an SME your barrier to a fast Internet line is rarely the install costs. If you can't afford the £3000 for installation then you're unlikely to be able to afford the £500 per month to run the line. Most businesses can get FTTC, if they need more than that then chances are they can afford to fund it themselves.

1. Roland6 Silver badge

Re: rental cost

Most businesses can get FTTC

Unfortunately that has been one of the major problems of BDUK, for reasons BT and its sponsors have been less than forthcoming about how cabinets that predominantly served business areas tended to be omitted from the rollout...

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

That sort of success warrants a KBE

7. Warm Braw

Only principal place of business

As far as I recall, the scheme is also only available to connect your principal place of business - which is the place that's most likely to be connected already. Secondary sites and, in particular, home-based employees don't seem to be eligible.

I suspect the people who signed up as "broadband delivery partners" are going to be feeling very sore - the government got organisations to tender to support businesses in broadband takeup and set very aggressive conversion targets in return for funding their "engagement" plans: I imagine many of those targets have been missed leaving the bidding organisations seriously out of pocket.

1. alhodg

Re: Only principal place of business

This top bit is not true - so long as your company passes the company eligibility test and the location you want to claim for is in an area that supports the scheme, you should be able to claim for that site.

I think home workers are only supported if their home is an official office of the company and their permanent working location, although sole traders who work from home can also be eligible.

8. JP19

claims 'success'

I would go along with that.

Managing to only piss away 26 of a possible 100 million £ budget on this utterly pointless scheme is a small success in my book.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Far too costly

For may small businesses, especially where the £3k won't cover the initial install. Ongoing monthly costs compared to a "fiber' connection are crazy, especially when the business only needs high bandwidth part of the time (e.g. downloads, uploading large files to clients).

All these crazy schemes need to be scraped and put towards a future-proofed fiber to the X network.

10. M7S

Dodgy offers

We received a number of ethically questionable offers to use this as an inducement to switch providers (we are already connected). For our remote locations, if it wasn't in an area already covered by decent provision and just requiring a hook up, then either the offering entity was not interested, seeking an "easy job" with the chance to raise the price by most of the cost of the subsidy, or the overall cost was still too high.

I suspect a large amount of this money has ended up padding the accounts of providers of snake oil.

11. I J Ellis

In only 50 Cities

So, unless you're in one of these, there's no assistance - if the uptake's been poor why not extend it to other areas e.g. where there's no FTTC provision?

12. Sgt_Oddball

Kept getting offers about this..

Considering the Web Dev team (I.e. All two of us) actually care about having a half decent net connection the md wasn't too keen on spending more per month than it costs for our current connection all year.

Agree about them avoiding upgrading the cabinets near business areas to stiff them with higher cost lines.

Now here's a mad idea, what if the government let businesses pool the vouchers to get local cabinets upgraded? Or is that just too sensible?

1. Roland6 Silver badge

Re: Kept getting offers about this..

>Now here's a mad idea, what if the government let businesses pool the vouchers to get local cabinets upgraded?

You can pool vouchers, however the onus is on you to:

1. Identify a cabinet that isn't going to be upgrade.

2. Discover the cost that BT has set on that cabinet's upgrade.

3. Determine if it is within an area that qualifies for the SME scheme.

3. Persuade your local BDUK delivery agent (typically a quango) to identify what funds they have available and can allocate (or would of allocated if BT had determined the cabinet was economic to upgrade) and put such funds into your pot.

4. Identify the SME business users of said cabinet.

5. Knock on doors and convince these businesses they should upgrade to Fibre and hence apply for a voucher etc..

6. Present your case, using all avenues available to you, including councillors, MP etc. and hope BT will accept it.

Finally don't expect to be paid for doing the above, because that was the local delivery quango should of been doing all along but were too lazy to do...

1. alhodg

Re: Kept getting offers about this..

A slightly less involved way that we have done with some business parks is to get a number of local businesses together to split a leased line and distribute it locally.

Once you have 3 or 4 businesses interested the costs soon become much more affordable as you get to under £100pm rental and you can pool vouchers, so even with costly excess construction charges you usually have it covered, and the vouchers can pay for the cabling and point to point equipment.

We've turned round a couple like this in a couple of months, which is prob quick compared with trying to get a cabinet upgraded.

13. SwiffedIT

Could have used a fraction of the money...

...to threaten BT with legal action if they didn't enable ALL exchanges for FTTC.

I live within spitting distance of a major exchange (ESROS), but can't get faster than ADSL speeds.

Most small companies can't afford £500 a month for their Internet access. And many ISPs waive the installation costs if you sign up for 3 years anyway, so the scheme is pointless.

14. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Why bother?

Host your services & connectivity from a cloud provider, and use a cheaper slower broadband to connect to it to manage it.

15. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

It was a fucking scam

You needed to go through a middle-man to get the dosh. We priced two bog standard business connections and a Draytek router to provide balancing failover and it was noticeably cheaper than the middle-man's subsidised offering over a single year.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like