back to article FBI collars exec who allegedly tried to nick secrets of game fronted by babe Kate Upton

A former games company executive, who allegedly tried to steal trade secrets from his old bosses and flee to China, has been arrested and charged by the FBI. The US Department of Justice (DoJ) claims Jing Zeng, formerly the director of global infrastructure at Machine Zone, stole confidential information from the games maker, …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Why do people even play these garbage "free to play" games?

Their business model is so bad. It's like saying I'll let you play chess for free, but you only get a king and pawns, and any other piece costs $20 a pop. It's totally a scam.

1. Pascal Monett Silver badge

Yeah, but thanks to Farmville it is a scam that is proven to work.

All you need is to gag, bind and blindfold your conscience in the basement before embarking on such a career knowing you could have made an actual, fun game and instead chose to get rich.

Well, you can't really blame the game makers. If there were only 10 people on this ball of mud willing to pay (and pay, and pay) to play, then this kind of gaming paradigm wouldn't be all that successful.

2. Andy 73 Silver badge

Why do they play?

Because a lot of people have been trained to think that these things aren't worth anything, so why pay for a game?

Because the traditional games developers have found it very hard to monetise social and mobile platforms, so they don't develop decent games for them.

Because the vast majority of gamers are casual players who don't want to invest in a 'real' game.

Because Kate Upton.

Because sadly we're all a bunch of slightly evolved apes and we don't place much value on quality entertainment over a quick fix.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

But Kate Upton isn't even in the game!

millions of players worldwide

How many millions? 0.5 millions? 1 millions?

This should really be expressed in "player x years / day", which is of course "players" which is the same unit but at least it would be meaningful.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: But Kate Upton isn't even in the game!

if x = idiot then x could be millions.

2. Captain Scarlet

Re: But Kate Upton isn't even in the game!

Its all about advertising and trying to get people to play the game, check out https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evony#Advertising_campaign for something similar.

3. graeme leggett Silver badge

description

"Fronted" is the right word.

But even without Ms Upton the advertising of these games really deserves a new onscreen qualifier along the lines of "nothing like actual game play".

4. This post has been deleted by its author

1. W3dge

Re: Not innuendo

I suppose it would be alright if it was a bloke and the headline read 'Hunk' though, huh?

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

> Implying she is not objectifying herself.

3. goldcd

In this case though

I think "she started it" (unless you can find another reason, aside from the physical, that she's involved)

4. JLV

Be realistic. Ms Upton's line of work is being objectified and she is quite good at it. Her appearance in objectifying mags like Maxim and SI's swimsuit issue makes me think she is OK with it and it's her body. In fact, I suspect she would think it was good publicity to be called a babe.

Now if this was an article where the female subject was the lead dev for the game and El Reg called her a babe, then yes, that would be more than a tad sexist.

5. Voland's right hand Silver badge

She makes a sh**load of money out of objectification, so once again, what is your point?

5. Velv
    Paris Hilton

Kate Upton Peter Cottontail

6. Cuddles

Trade secrets?

I fail to see how there could have been any. It's yet another shitty pay-to-play clickathon, advertised by boobs. None of those things are in any way secret.

7. IHateWearingATie

Freemium games not all bad

I have a mild Clash of Clans obsession and I think its really very balanced, and a great example of how these kinds of games can work. There is nothing in the game you have to pay for, as you get given small amounts each week for free of the in-game currency that you can also buy. The fun of the game is slowly making your way up the levels and while splashing the cash can speed things a little, you'll never notice the difference when playing between the people who have spent a bit of cash and those that haven't.

To be honest, you need a while playing to learn it well and the game penalises you to a significant extent you if you rush one aspect far ahead of the others. The people you can tell have splashed a lot of cash are usually really bad at the game, and have hugely unbalanced bases which make them easy and well worth attacking.

As to how much I've spent? About £15 through 18 months of playing, which I think is really very good value if I think of how much the latest Call of Duty cost me. I'm on level 9 of 10 so pretty far through (TH9, level 20 heros, max troops and part level 10 and part level 9 walls for anyone that plays it)

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Kate Upton caused me to view the article, tldr.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like