back to article White Stork mates with ISS, delivers bundles of resupply joy

Japan's space truck Kounotori 5 ("White Stork 5") today successfully docked with the International Space Station (ISS), bearing 4.5 tonnes of scientific kit and supplies. White Stork captured by the ISS's Canadarm2. Pic Scott Kelly White Stork captured by the ISS's Canadarm2. Pic: Scott Kelly/Twitter ISS Expedition 44 …

1. ravenviz Silver badge
    Angel

Hopefully Kimiya Yui will now be seen sipping ryokucha?!

2. a_mu

Just a thought,

Why take up dehydrated food when you then have to take up water to re hydrate it.

As the ISS recycles most of its water, take up some nice food, with water in it.

food A mass = mass water in food A plus dry mass of food A.

1. Bluewhelk

Dehydrated food

I suspect that there is less water, in terms of number of meals covered (because it gets recycled and only the losses need replacing), than packets of dried food (which doesn't). The water will also be drunk directly and used for other purposes (hygiene?). The upshot, it's more efficient to separate them out on the ground plus you get more food for your launch mass.

Probably keeps better too.

1. Graham Dawson Silver badge

Re: Dehydrated food

Yep, the food is freeze-dried and vacuum sealed as a preservation method, with the added benefit that it takes up less space in storage.

2. Mark 85

It's pity that no one has ever figured out how to do dehydrated beer. I'm sure it would be welcomed .

1. Crazy Operations Guy
        Trollface

RE: dehydrated beer

But there is plenty of urine up there already...

1. I ain't Spartacus Gold badge
          Pint

Re: RE: dehydrated beer

But there is plenty of urine up there already...

Astronauts wouldn't give a XXXX for anything else...

3. David Roberts
    Boffin

Dehydrated beer...

...in known as Malt Whisky.

1. I ain't Spartacus Gold badge
      Devil

Re: Dehydrated beer...

Does that mean if I take some, mix with water and put in a sodastream I'll get lager?

4. Andy The Hat Silver badge

Missed tech brilliance.

Everyone knows how great the ISS, how things go up and down to it and how brilliant everything is. But does anyone give a second glance to the Canadarm? Without that fabulous bit of tech most of the routine dockings wouldn't happen, 'astronauts' wouldn't feel so safe on spacewalks and it's been so useful for general moving and manipulatory stuff. It has to be the 'unsung hero' bit of kit of the entire ISS mission.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

RE. Re: Dehydrated beer...

Is there any word on when/if any NASA (or for that matter ESA) astronauts have joined the "69 mile high club" ?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like