back to article US govt: Any thoughts on ICANN running the internet? Any at all? Speak your brains NOW

The US government has formally asked people to send in comments on the plan to transition its control of the top level of the internet to domain overseer ICANN. In a posting in today's Federal Register, the arm of the Department of Commerce that controls the critical IANA contract, the National Telecommunications and …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

just cut to the chase

Let the NSA run it.

2. Will Godfrey Silver badge
    Unhappy

A better idea

Let the Nigerians run it. They couldn't be any more corrupt.

3. Yes Me Silver badge
    Unhappy

Please don't mix facts and opinions

" the transition plan is a flawed amalgam..."

Once again: this is not journalism; this statement turns it into an opinion piece.

1. amanfromMars 1 Silver badge

Re: Please don't mix facts and opinions

Please don't mix facts and opinions

" the transition plan is a flawed amalgam..."

Once again: this is not journalism; this statement turns it into an opinion piece. ..... Yes Me

Of course it is journalism as virtually practised by practically all mainstream media outlets/propaganda channels. Haven't you realised the shenanigans that control you yet, Yes Me ....... https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yellow_journalism

Oh, and this is pertinent too and an uncomfortable truth which will rightly disturb more than just quite a few with nowhere in cyberspace to hide ........

Food for further thought and APT ACTion and Proaction/HyperRadioProActivity, Max and Daily Bellringers, .... http://www.rt.com/news/312021-us-journalist-grant-baltics/ ...

and valid enough to be perfectly true confirmation of the premise ..... In Live Operational Virtual Environments and all of those Novel Model Places too within IT and CyberSpace, Smarter Worded Orders Command and Control Deaf, Dumb and Blind World Leaderships and Capital Oligarchs in the Thrall and Service of the Catastrophically Intellectually Challenged? ..... shared earlier.

Fun and Great Gamesplay for none but the Smart Brave and Stalwart Lionhearted:-) ....... "Thieves Emporium": Part 5 - The One Gets Away

The times they have a'changed with virtual space racing ..... leading heads ahead to green virgin pastures.

2. kierenmccarthy

So the story states that the plan is:

a) flawed

b) an amalgam

And then goes on to list and dig into a series of flaws contained in the plan, and highlights that it has been created by combining three different plans i.e. a flawed amalgam.

This is what is called analysis. It comes from spending hours reading the plans so readers don't have to.

Kieren

1. Yes Me Silver badge

Nobody who's read it even superficially can deny that it's an amalgam. But whether it's flawed or a reasonable compromise is in fact the whole point of the public comment period.

I don't mind you having an opinion and I might even agree with it. But I really did find that this story (and the previous one) didn't separate the facts and the opinion well enough. Which is a shame, because otherwise you're by far the most competent reporter on this story - so thanks, and thanks for replying.

4. amanfromMars 1 Silver badge

Simple Solutions are invariably always the Best of the Rest?

The only aspect that the notice highlights – due to repeated scaremongering by Congress over the transition – is that the proposal cannot replace "the NTIA role with a government-led or an inter-governmental organization solution.”

Of course not. The American way is always to have the private and personal sector in command and control of practically everything, although nowadays is there considerably more intelligence needed to maintain and retain power than they have easy unrestricted access to. Such gaps in their potential and performance have usually been plugged with the dollar purchase of whatever is needed from anybody who would have what is needed and missing.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like