back to article Cher tells HTC: If I could turn back time ... if I could find a way (to not lose $250m in a quarter)

HTC has warned staff there will be mass layoffs after the biz lost more a quarter of a billion dollars in three months. For quarter ending June 30, HTC turned $NT33bn (US$1.04bn) in revenues (down 49 per cent year-on-year) into a NT$5.1bn (US$161.1m) loss, thanks to slow sales of its Android mobile devices. China in particular …

1. Bloodbeastterror

Snapdragon?

Is this in any way related to the adverse publicity about the Snapdragon 810? Personally I'm persuaded - I wouldn't touch a SD810 with a bargepole when there are competing devices with similar performance without the negatives. Not worth the risk on such an expensive investment.

1. P. Lee

Re: Snapdragon?

Probably not just SD810 though that may have compounded the issue.

Mobile has matured quickly - there is no consolidation/virtualisation bandwagon for phones to give them an extra boost of life, they are designed to be dumb and incapable. Mobile and PC markets are fast approaching the same stage: everyone has one, new ones offer no significant benefits over the old ones.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Fast approaching? PCs have been there at least a decade, smartphones for half a decade.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Can't believe it can make this much difference.

810 is an 8 core big.little reference design on 20nm, first 64bit silicon from Qualcomm. The 820 will have Qualcomm's custom CPU 4 core design on 14nm and is faster on those 4 cores. There's the reason for the heat issues, although the HTC One M9 with the 810 doesn't get very warm after a couple of Android updates and is still very speedy.

2. Stevie

Bah!

Wang are still in business? I thought they folded their tents yonks ago. Learn summat every day.

3. This post has been deleted by its author

1. Stevie

Re: Cher and 'Believe'

Hated that effect within three microseconds of my being introduced to it. It remains one of the few special effects that will make me change the radio channel to anything else by reflex.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like