back to article Playing with graphene? All the cool kids are using TIN – atom-thick sheets of stanene

Researchers at Stanford have laid down the first atom-thick sheet of tin, and it has the potential to revolutionize electronics thanks to its unique power propagation properties. The material has been dubbed stanene, a contraction of the Latin word for tin "stannum" and the "ene" suffix used for 2D materials. It does for the …

1. James 51

Is there any material that if you can create a layer one atom thick doesn't have amazing new properties? And what ever happened to Buckyballs?

1. Hollerith 1

Given that they are round...

...buckyballs aren't one atom thick, are they?

1. Efros

Re: Given that they are round...

Depends on what you think of as thickness.

2. James 51

One molecule thick and particularly with doping was suppose to have the same properties. It was the first wonder material I can remember. It's a long from from the lab to industry.

3. dajames

...buckyballs aren't one atom thick, are they?

You can think of a Buckyball as being a very small sheet of graphene (60 atoms) folded into a polygon (or rolled into a ball, if you prefer).

1. MyffyW Silver badge

You can think of a Buckyball as being a very small sheet of graphene (60 atoms) folded into a polygon

Can I think of those buckyballs as balanced on the backs of four elephants which in turn stand on the back of a giant turtle swimming through space?

2. cray74

Law of Materials Science

"Is there any material that if you can create a layer one atom thick doesn't have amazing new properties? "

It's a law of materials science that if a new material is discovered - like a new blend of cotton-polyester lint and skin grease from your navel - then a materials scientist will publish a paper speculating about its potential as a superconductor and/or an extremely strong substance.

I get three materials journals a month. At least one will have an announcement like this annually. First it was buckyballs, then carbon nanotubes, then titanium diboride, then graphene, then stannene, and there another dozen or so I've blurred out.

1. MyffyW Silver badge
        Paris Hilton

Re: Law of Materials Science

There's a Nobel prize waiting for the chap or chap-ess who finds a novel use for the fluff from the tumble dryer filter. Especially when it exhibits the stratified colours from successive loads of ones frocks, tshirts, jeans and foundation garments.

2. fortran

Picking Nits: TIN versus Tin

Spelling out the element in uppercase is not correct, and is less than useful when the font you are using does not employ arms across the top and bottom for the uppercase 'i'. Which means it gets mistaken for a lowercase 'L', and the number '1'.

Is the person talking about Tin (the element), TiN (titanium nitride), TlN (Thallium nitride doesn't exist, but Tl3N does). It isn't as bad as writing about lead, which usually causes me to write about lead (Pb) to reinforce that I am talking about the metal, and not some form of graphite.

One thing I find interesting about Tin, is that just by changing the vowel, you find how many stable isotopes Tin has (ten), which is the most of any element. Of course, then things like double beta minus decay come along and turn some of the "stable" isotopes into unstable (but very long lived) isotopes.

1. Efros

Re: Picking Nits: TIN versus Tin

Strictly speaking it should be tin. Tin when capitalization is required.

2. Hollerith 1

The little lines on letters? As in serifs?

1. J.G.Harston Silver badge

Tritium Iodine Nitride? I think there's enough valences for it to work.

3. elDog

Children, time to go to sleep.

Besides it is "nits", not "Nits".

1. Robert Helpmann??
        Childcatcher

Besides it is "nits", not "Nits"

Unless used as part of a title, which it is in this case.

4. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Purely out of curiosity - what defines an isotope as unstable if it also long-lived? This sounds like a contradiction to my 'literal' (and uneducated) mind.

TIA

1. Major N

I believe any isotope that has a half life (i.e. will eventually decay) is unstable. IIRC, Bismuth is technically unstable; It has a half-life of something in the order of a billion billion years, but because it has one, it is unstable.

2. This post has been deleted by its author

1. Major N

by 'eventually' it could have several stages of intermediate unstable isotopes before finally settling down', I guess...

Doesn't everything (that does decay) eventually decay into something stable?

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

BUT . . . aren't even protons expected to decay if you give them long enough?

And if something has a long half-life doesn't that suggest a low level of radiation (few decays for a given time) even if the individual decays may be high-powered.

5. breakfast Silver badge
      Thumb Up

Of course if a conductive form of lead could be produced with the requisite flexibility and conductivity we could make lead led leads for lead guitarists. If they were exclusively designed to power their fretlights they would be for lead guitarists' LEDs.

3. Dave 32

Crystalline structure

What crystalline structure are they attempting? Tin normally has two common allotropes (beta/white, and alpha/gray), although two other allotropes exist at higher temperatures/pressures. Given that the crystalline structure can dramatically affect electron conduction properties, it may not be all that surprising that they're not seeing what they hoped to see. I really have to wonder if what they've deposited has been more of a single atom thickness of an amorphous layer of Tin, rather than a two dimensional crystalline structure of Tin. More analysis/details would be required, though.

Dave

4. Anonymous Coward
    1. Major N

Re: Snapple...

Snap!(ple)

5. dajames
    Boffin

And, indeed, 3D materials

... stanene, a contraction of the Latin word for tin "stannum" and the "ene" suffix used for 2D materials.

The "-ene" ending in Chemistry usually denotes a hydrocarbon molecule containing carbo-carbon double bonds, such as ethene (formerly known as ethylene), propene (popylene), benzene, etc. The ending persists in polymers made from these molecules, as in polythene, polypropylene, etc., all of which are very much 3D compounds.

Graphene seems to have got its name as a formation from graphite and the -ene ending, perhaps taken from benzene (the structure of graphene is that of an atom-thick layer of graphite, which is effectively a 2D polymer of benzene molecules).

Graphene seems to be the exemplar, here, so I'd say that stannene was formed from the Latin stannum following the example of graphene, rather than pretending that the -ene suffix belongs only to 2D materials.

6. SBU
    Black Helicopters

Tin Hat

Stanene felt fedoras coming soon to your nearest psychic security stockist.

7. fortran

The no longer stable isotopes

Sn-112 undergoes double electron capture (somewhere less than 1E21 year half life), Sn-124 undergoes double beta decay (somewhere greater than 1E21 year half life), and Sn-122 has people suspecting it also undergoes double beta decay.

Leaving tin with 7 stable isotopes.

A source for this information is Jefferson Lab. A lot of older web data shoes all 3 isotopes listed as stable.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

What about..

Bintene. (bismuth analog of graphene).

Arsene (arsenic analog of ...)

Cun... wait that joke has been done already.

AC, because this joke is NSFW.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon