back to article Object storage adoption: Why, when, where… and, importantly, but

In one of my recent posts, I wrote about private object storage not being for everyone, especially if you don’t have the size to make it viable. On the other hand, we are all piling up boatloads of data and users need to access it from many different locations, applications and devices at anytime. Object storage …

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. bscottm

Reinventing your own file system. Multiple times.

Object storage, while inexpensive for storage, requires that you roll your own file system to manage the objects, above and beyond the usual serialization/deserialization. There's a bit more to objects than just reading and writing.

1. macentric1

Re: Reinventing your own file system. Multiple times.

There are a variety of enterprise supported products that include SAN, NAS and REST or any combination of those interfaces. Rolling your own isn't necessary though admittedly it's probably more fun.

I work for Quantum and am a Scale Out Storage SE so of course I prefer a StorNext with Lattus-M combination for your single vendor tiered storage needs but there are other products on the market that provide similar functionality like Qumulo and I think EMC ViPR has all sorts of cool capabilities like this as well.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon