back to article How to keep track of your flexible workers

It has been two years since Yahoo! chief Marissa Meyer hauled her remote working employees back into the office, intent on eliminating flexible working. The concept is becoming more popular, though, whether people like Ms Meyer like it or not. In June 2014, an amendment to the UK’s Children and Families Act came into effect. …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Who's paying for the broadband?

Personally I have the freedom/ability to work remotely but I'm in the developer camp where I can keep all my tools/current work locally and only occasionally need to sync up repositories/email etc.

Running VDI from the house - mm, not so sure about that.

2. Jay 2
    Happy

I have the ability to work from home (and did for 3 months last year after breaking a few bones) but generally prefer being in the office. Mainly as I can talk to other colleagues and I have a lot more screen real estate. I've become so used to having multiple monitors, then being stuck with one at home can lead to a rather cluttered desktop.

My main weapon of choice is whatever VMWare call their remote client nowadays (Horizon?) which will allow me to connect from my Mac (or iPad) to either a dedicated VM or my own PC back in the office. I also have a VoIP handset which connects back to the office securely.

Once logged into everything then in some cases people won't even notice that I'm not in the office. Not sure if that's good or bad. But this setup has also proven useful for out-of-hours work (both of the scheduled and near disaster type).

3. jamesb2147

Hey, Ed! - Correction

It's spelled Mayer, not Meyer.

4. Dan Paul

Thin Clients.......

and anyone who EVER suggests them as a solution need to be blown back to hell. Bite the bullet and buy your own hardware if confronted with that baloney.

I worked from home from the late 90's til 2006. The first company I worked for sent me a Windows CE infected p.o.s. Went out after a week of that unproductive nonsense and bought a real PC and never looked back.

5. LOLtards

thin clients..

after watching my company push this sheet down our throat. even after being told of another company spending more reversing it just months before.. yep you guessed it.. we ended up ripping this useless crap out and going back to full spec PC with local applications.. guess what.. we get less fault calls. funny that.

hate all these idiot who get promoted for pushing the cloud, then by the time the real cost of replacing comes in, they are long gone onto more high paid jobs.

6. CrosscutSaw

I'm in both camps

Some days, I like going into the office because it helps me mentally be ready for work, with all that getting dressed, driving, picking up coffee, etc.

Other days if there is a project that needs my undivided attention, it's great to be at home where I'm away from the drive-byes and the ringing desk phone. I get a lot accomplished that way, being away from the humans.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon