back to article Australia to run first robo-car trials in sleepy Adelaide

Australia's first trial of driverless cars will take place this November. The Australian Road Research Board (ARRB) and the South Australian government announced the tests today. Volvo's providing the cars, the XC90 to be precise, Bosch is tossing in its automated driving technologies and Telstra (Australia's dominant telco) …

1. Winkypop Silver badge
    Thumb Up

Great idea

South Australia + Self drive cars = Safer winery tours!

2. P. Lee
    Mushroom

Bring them to Melbourne

There are plenty of cars in the outside lane doing 80-90kph in a 100kph zone. Flashing lights, honking horn, multiple cars overtaking on the inside has absolutely zero impact on the car's behaviour.

I'm all for replacing zombies with robots. At least they might keep left or do the speed or hopefully, both.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Bring them to Melbourne

Hint: The more you flash and honk, the less inclined I am to move over.

1. chekri

"Hint: The more you flash and honk, the less inclined I am to move over."

So lets get this straight, you break the law by not keeping left unless overtaking (As is the law in Australia), causing unnecessary inconvenience to other road users, often leading them to frustration and unsafe maneuvers to get past you. You are a person who day to day makes the road a frustrating and more dangerous place to drive and you break the law, then when another motorist signals for you to modify your behaviour to something more socially acceptable you become more entrenched in that behavior (and probably take delight in the frustration you cause that person).

The above is classic sociopath behaviour. You sir, are an asshat.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Ummm, yep!

If you calm down, you will get better compliance.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Alert

"Telstra is providing connectivity"

lol

4. Kitschcamp

Safe place to test?

Flip! Have you ever been here? It may be quieter but the road users are some of the worst I've ever seen anywhere in the world, and I've been to mad places in Africa and the Middle East on a regular basis. The poor things will be forever avoiding dozy drivers.

1. Moreofthesame
      Mushroom

Re: Safe place to test?

Having had the pleasure of driving both the Hume and SE freeway in Victoria and the M1 from Sydney to Newcastle of a very regular basis I think you should also add the drivers of those pieces of bitumen to the list of the worst drivers in the world. I've seen them do 95 in a 100km\h zone and then 60km\h through road works. I've also had the pleasure of being tailgated doing 112km\h in a 110 zone. Adelaide does not have a monopoly on crap drivers.

1. GrumpyOldBloke

Re: Safe place to test?

As population increased and cars got better Australian governments had a choice, keep things moving with higher driving standards or lower speeds and a focus on revenue collection / bogus safety messages. Consistent with the prison guard mentality that still infests the public sector in Oz they chose the later. Driving standards in most of the country are appalling and per our anonymous coward above, attempting to defend driving slowly in the right hand lane, there is no hope on the horizon just a sad geriatric led decline into immobility. A tragedy of the commons par excellence.

5. Peter_Griffin_IT_GUY
    Terminator

Challenge Mode

I'm all for driverless cars as long as I can set the mode of driving.

Something akin to T-Bar auto with a sliding scale of aggression and extendable cattle scoop to push our anonymous coward above out of the right hand lane.

6. Dr Patrick J R Harkin

It's not really a fair trial though, is it?

Avoiding obstacles isn't hard if there's nothing to hit.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Good idea?!?

Err...have you even read your own articles??

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/07/21/jeep_patch/

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2022