back to article It's official – HP really will get you a Windows 10 PC on July 29 (barely)

HP got on the phone with The Register on Wednesday to shed light on how it plans to roll out PCs with Windows 10 preinstalled. The IT giant said you can expect at least some of its hardware to be available with the new OS on the day that it launches – July 29. There's been some confusion on the matter. Earlier this week, HP …

1. Shadow Systems

HP is fucking insane.

I clicked the link to check out the laptops. I modified the default selection to be Business Class rather than Consumer laptops. For shits & giggles I selected the very last laptop in the list & chose to customize it.

Giving it Ubuntu subtracts a nice chunk of change. Reducing the screen to the minimum reduces it even farther. No WiFi+BT drops it some more. No fingerprint reader, no VPro, no WLAN, all drop the price. Bumping up the ram to a full 16 gigs & going for the 128gig SSD brings it up a bit.

For a laptop with no additional software, no WiFi/BT/WLAN/biometrics/VPro/"TouchPont" remote control, the lowest grade screen available, and no other frills, the price was STILL over Two Thousand.

HP's smoking scrotum sweat if they think that's a bargain, and the price goes !UP! from there if you put Windows back on it!?!?

HP's fucking insane...

So I went back to the original W10 Laptops page. Sure there's some seemingly inexpensive models in the Four Hundred bucks range, but they're all AMD CPU's, 4 gigs of ram, and piss poor specs.

In order to get a 5th generation Intel i5 & 8 gigs of ram, be prepared to visit the land of One Thousand dollars or more, and that's the *base* price.

I know you get what you pay for, but FFS that's not going to go over well with all the parents doing "Back To School" shopping for the kids; if your choice is a thousand bucks for an HP with Win10 or Two Hundred for a Chromebook, that expensive HP is gonna gather dust.

*Sigh*

Yeah, I know, it's an article about Win10 laptops offered by HP so I shouldn't be talking about their Chromebooks, but it just makes my head hurt how a "bargain" laptop starts at over a thousand dollars in HP's version of Reality.

Hell, if Bargain = $1K+ then Apple products are merely "Low Cost" and that 32gig 5th gen i7 quad core 3GHz with the 1Tb SSD is enough to start looking like it might take all of a month of Junior's allowance to afford!

*Disgusted cat barfing noises*

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: HP is fucking insane.

....must....hate...Windows....because...Linux...bigots....say....so....

1. Shadow Systems

@AC, re "Windows Hate".

My dislike of Windows is not based on a love for the penguin, rather it's a well deserved, hard earned, most of my life using Windows, slowly simmering at the constant screw ups, cluster fucks, & fucking over by Microsoft.

While I have used Linux in the past, it is by no means the bulk of my computing experience; at best it's about 10% Penguin & 90% Radioactive Butterfly.

My original post wasn't hate for Windows, it was incredulity at the prices for a laptop that I had intentionally done everything I could to strip it down in every way I could (version of the OS, not including various subsystems that I don't need or can't use, etc), and only improving it by adding RAM & an SSD. Given the base unit included Win7Pro64 in the price was acceptable, but the choice of Ubuntu reduced the price by over Two Hundred dollars. That was the _only_ reason I chose Linux in my Build To Order attempt, not a love for Linux.

I'll admit I would rather my next machine run Linux than Windows, but that's more along the lines of economy: Win7Pro64 plus a copy of my ScreenReaderEnvironment will run me a huge chunk of change whereas SUSE & Orca will be MUCH less expensive. Even adding in a year long SLA contract for support from SUSE Enterprise won't make it cost as much as the Win+SRE option. Purely from a financial POV, I could get nearly *twice* the laptop (hardware) for the same price if I choose SUSE over Windows. That's not a Linux Lover or Windows Hater outlook, that's simple math.

When you add in all the cock ups, fuck ups, & absolute cluster fucks of Microsoft into the mix, the money I'd save in anti-migraine medication alone would pay for the Linux install.

YES I hate Windows, for a damn good reason, but it had _nothing_ to do with my original post.

*Sighs*

I know I shouldn't feed the trolls, but maybe if I slip it a live grenade disguised as a tasty Apple, maybe the resulting Chunky Salsa will make the World a better place?

*Evil Grin*

Heeeeere Trolly, Trolly, Trolly. HERE Trolly. Who wants a nice Apple?

*Cackle*

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: HP is fucking insane.

> For shits & giggles I selected the very last laptop in the list & chose to customize it.

> and it was expensive

You went to a list ordered by price, you went to the most expensive machine and you found it was expensive. Am I missing something here?

The specs on lo end laptops tend to be so low that the average phone these days is better.

1. Shadow Systems

@AC, re List Order.

Ah, then it's my fault. I heard my ScreenReaderEnvironment say that it was a List sorted by Price, but not in which order it had been sorted. Most of the time when I get such a list & the manufacturer chooses the order for me, they put their best & brightest (and most expensive) at the top & all the lowest grade (and priced) crap at the bottom. I went to the bottom thinking it was the Low end of the list, not realizing it was the High end instead, which would explain whi the price went from merely astronomical to completely out of orbit. I accept the down votes as appropriate then, and shall take the virtual smacking as Deserved.

Have a pint on me for the explanation, and I'll try to make my SRE be a bit more descriptive in the future.

Cheers.

2. Steven Burn

Oh dear .......

The "Tips and Corrections" link is currently displaying;

"

Email Protection

You are unable to access this email address theregister.co.uk

The website from which you got to this page is protected by CloudFlare. Email addresses on that page have been hidden in order to keep them from being accessed by malicious bots. You must enable Javascript in your browser in order to decode the e-mail address.

If you have a website and are interested in protecting it in a similar way, you can sign up for CloudFlare."

..... hmmm.

Anywho, HP site seems to be having issues;

"The store has encountered a problem processing the last request. Try again later. If the problem persists, contact your site administrator."

Only appears to be the pages involving machines with Windows 10 being affected, others pages on their site are fine.

3. Ken 16 Silver badge
    Trollface

What date can they get me SP1?

To fix the first day bugs?

4. Mr Dogshit
    Headmaster

When you say "preorder"

You actually mean "order".

1. Dazed and Confused

Re: When you say "preorder"

No, when he says he wants to pre-order one with sp1 on, it'll be a pre-order, they haven't announced that one yet but we all know it'll be coming to try and sort out all the mayhem that gets brought forth as W10.

1. Pookietoo

Re: but we all know it'll be coming

Do we? What happened to the frequent small update schedule that W10 is supposed to be running on?

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

NO they will not !

Because I have already informed HP via e-mail that they are not going to coerce me into buying Win8 or Win10 when I want neither.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like