back to article Oxford Uni unearths 800-year-old document to seize domain names

The University of Oxford has gone all medieval over some dot-com domain names, insisting that it be handed control of oxfordcollegeirl.com and oxfordcollegesc.com due to rights dating back to 1214 A.D. A panelist at the World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO) agreed, although his job was made easier by the fact that …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I read it as oxfordcollegegirl.com

And thought of a completely different kind of website…

1. Red Bren
      Paris Hilton

Re: I read it as oxfordcollegegirl.com

You might have discovered a brief but lucrative business opportunity, unless I register it first...

1. Teiwaz
        Thumb Up

Might want to squeeze in a 'co-ed' and a 'cheerleader' - just to hit the lucrative american market spot-on...

2. Voland's right hand Silver badge

Can we have a Taylor Swift icon?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Naaah, it's already copyrighted.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

I KNEW the .sucks TLD was good for something!

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"Can we have a Taylor Swift icon?"

no its becky

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Big news!

Reputable organisation protects its online brand! And ... erm ... that's it.

1. Michael Wojcik Silver badge

Re: Big news!

Bah. The text in the screenshot alone was worth the effort of reading it.

I had never realized that Elizabeth I was the son/daughter of St Patrick. It's all falling into place.

3. PhilipN Silver badge

Reminds me ..

There's a little place near where my Dad used to live in Dorset named Oxbridge.

Yes you guessed - why not set up a little shop there as the HQ of a global educational institute. Millions more people will be able to say they are Oxbridge grads.

And hands off you greedy bastards. I thought of it first!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Reminds me ..

"Yes you guessed - why not set up a little shop there as the HQ of a global educational institute"

As I recall, Lord Archer's entry in Who's Who used to read "Education: Wellington and Cambridge".

That would be Wellington primary school and Cambridge College of Arts and Technology. So it was true...and there was not the slightest intent to mislead in any way.

1. ADRM

I went to CCAT in the mid Seventies studying City and Guilds in Technology. 1 day a week (day release) in my apprenticeship in Electronics for 5 years.

Bloody cyclists everywhere and lots of collegegirls@Cambridge Uni too. Andy's Records in Mill Road sold L.P.s cheaper than anywhere.

Happy days the 70's.

Apart from Power Station Workers, Coal Miners, Truck Drivers, Car Makers striking and holding the country to ransom.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Nothing wrong with CCAT, far from it. But by the mid 70s I'd have been mowing you down on a Bonneville rather than a bicycle. I hope, if we encountered one another, that I missed you.

2. Michael Strorm Silver badge

"Education: Wellington and Cambridge".

Did he get his Bronze Swimming certificate there?

2. Clive Harris
      Headmaster

My mother was educated at Harrow

My mother used to tell people she was educated at Harrow. To be precise, it was Harrow Primary School, a mile or so down the road from the better-known (boys-only) establishment known to the locals as "'arrow on the 'ill".

Re the icon - I'm pretty sure they didn't wear mortar boards at Harrow Primary School

4. Pen-y-gors

Embedded names?

I think they're on dodgy ground once they start saying that the domain includes the name of the complainant - Oxford University will shortly lose its domains to the Ford motor company...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Paris Hilton

Re: Embedded names?

"Oxford University will shortly lose its domains to the Ford motor company"

That would be one hell of a typo - accidentally hitting ox before typing in "ford.com".

Besides, any area in England at least that has a whiff off water near it will sport a town/village/hamlet name suffixed with "ford" and no doubt one or two don't bother with a prefix. I think we can allow common sense to prevail and assume that Ford won't be trying to take on the academics.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"Besides, any area in England at least that has a whiff off water near it will sport a town/village/hamlet name suffixed with "ford" [...]"

Given the likely origin of the name "Oxford" then there are will be many places of that name in the country with ownership going back a long way. As a child I was puzzled why a very local bus route included Oxford. It was one of the other ones.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

"As a child I was puzzled why a very local bus route included Oxford. It was one of the other ones."

That's nothing. Near where I live you can get from Scotland to Ireland in ten minutes on a bicycle.

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

"That's nothing. Near where I live you can get from Scotland to Ireland in ten minutes on a bicycle."

Yeah, we have Washington, Toronto, Philadelphia and New York all within a few miles of here :-)

2. Michael Strorm Silver badge

If you're in Scotland, you may as well visit Dallas.

2. Weeble

Ford, near Salisbury, springs immediately to mind.

3. Cuddles

" I think we can allow common sense to prevail"

I admire your optimism.

4. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: I think we can allow common sense to prevail

That'll be a first for a domain dispute

5. Graham Marsden

"which will presumably add them to the long list of domain names it holds...

"... and has to reguarly pay to renew, even though they don't do anything with them, in an effort to stop people profiting from its name"

FTFY

6. Vincent Ballard
    Alien

I'm not sure what the best part of that site is. Whether it's the pictures of Wills and Kate in the "List of honor" (sic), even though they're not named in the list. Or the fact that one of the people in their slider is apparently a hand-drawn circuit diagram. Or that they claim to be "bringing the attention to an important kind of medical research known as clinical research". Or that they claim to offer a graphic design course that includes "Introduction to using windows XP". Perhaps the winner is the claim under "Research Topics > Astrophysics" that Mars is inhabited by primates and clay fertility goddesses, whereas Saturn is inhabited by owls and grey aliens. It's comedy gold wherever you look.

7. Shadow Systems

Wait, it's spelt Oxford?

I went through all that hassle to get my sheepskin from Oxfurd and another from Camebridge, and now you're telling me they're worthless?

NOOoooooo!

*Cough*

I'll get my coat, it's the one with a copy of the Oxfurd Engrish Dikshunairy in the pocket...

1. Teiwaz
      Go

Re: Wait, it's spelt Oxford?

Can offer you a deal on a collection of books by Charles Dickkens, that's Dickens with 2 'k's, the well-known dutch author?

1. Bloakey1

"Can offer you a deal on a collection of books by Charles Dickkens, that's Dickens with 2 'k's, the well-known dutch author?"

I thought that Dickens occurred in a Dutch sauna after hours.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Joke

> Can offer you a deal on a collection of books by Charles Dickkens, that's Dickens with 2 'k's, the well-known dutch author?

Surely you mean van Dyckens?

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

@Shadow Systems; Sounds like an oxfrod to me.

Wasn't "Camebridge" the rival university in one of those, er, videos from oxfordcollegegirls.com? You know, the one where they eventually set aside their differences and made up with a humungus lesbian orgy?

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

illuminati watch out ...

Giving Away The Secrets in Caps Case One Revelation At A Time..

"We found the Need to Publish the Hidden Secrets of the World, ..... Our High Committee Acts as Promoters of Pace and Distributors of Ancient Knowledge in Scientific with Emphasis on Green energy, Humanity, Ancient History. "

1. Grinning Bandicoot

Re: illuminati watch out ...

Do I have get under a glass pyramid or will going to the lake in Nevada, USA be enough to gain the hidden wisdom thereby gaining a paper that indicates an education (or edukation) from Oxbow at Incident in Wyoming. Look all one sentence and more or less grammatical is that not edukation?

1. x 7

Re: illuminati watch out ...

your comment is less than grammatical.

9. Teiwaz

re: oxfordcollegeirl

Had it been me, I'd have gone with 'univerisityofdundalk.com'

As a very much doubt anybody internationally know where Dundalk is and might confuse it with 'Dundee', and you're not treading on anybodys TM too obviously.

10. keithpeter Silver badge
    Windows

country code .ac

Saint Helena, Ascension and Tristan da Cunha have country code .ac.

You see .ac at the end of Web addresses in some surprising locations here in the UK, like the back of buses and on banners outside educational institutions that do not appear to be tax-payer funded.

11. yakitoo
    Alien

Meanwhile

'......will presumably add them to the long list of domain names it holds and does nothing with.....'

Pan back to see porter pushing trolley full of domain names deep into a warehouse stacked with dusty boxes.................

1. graeme leggett Silver badge

Re: Meanwhile

Top. Men.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Meanwhile

It's an annex to the Bodleian, and it isn't dusty.

12. Henry Wertz 1 Gold badge

Rather entertaining

If the site is down by the time you go to look at it, www.royalcollegeireland.co.uk seems to have nearly identical content. (Which, of course, is probably appropriating a real Royal College's name...)

Vincent Ballard (a few posts above) is right, this site is ridiculous. The "Oxford College graduates" starts listing a few graduates and their degrees, then after several graduates, will have like 20 pages of text between each one.. I don't know if it's supposed to be that graduates dissertation or what.

The course descriptions are ridiculous --- one will have a list of courses or general description that looks vaguely like a syllabus... the astrophysics (as Ballard says) just has photos... one with some nonsensical diagram about "white energy" and dark matter, one showing aliens of Mars, Saturn, and Pluto with like owls and monkeys along with greys and such. The hand-drawn electronic diagram was odd to say the least, and didn't seem to have enough components to actually do anything (resistors, 27V worth of 9V batteries, an op amp, a "lamp" and an LED, and a male headphone jack labelled "for colloidal silver"?) The page on "human and poisonous food" is just an anti-meat rant, no description of courses whatsoever. Some pages are a mix, like half the page will resemble what you'd expect from, if not a college then at least a diploma mill, then like mid-page it's like whoever was typing it out lost their train of thought and decided to start talking about something else.

It's really rather nonsensical and mildly entertaining... they don't even seem to be trying to sell anything, insofar as I didn't see anywhere on there to actually sign up for anything or buy anything.

1. Vincent Ballard

Re: Rather entertaining

The application form is at http://www.oxfordcollegeirl.com/?id=11 . "Registration Fees 20000 Sterling Plus Donations", which is a somewhat interesting interpretation of "donation". I decided my previous post was long enough without mentioning that. But looking at the list of honour, lists of graduates, and photos apparently of graduation ceremonies, I suspect that they're mainly aiming to defraud people from the Middle East rather than British or Irish.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

The trouble with these sort of scam courses are that a lot of people actually are dumb enough to believe this nonsense.

I once met somebody who had enrolled on a "quantum physics" course. Not quantum mechanics, or particle physics, not even actual science, just some Deepak Chopra new age bullshit with enough scientific terms thrown in to make it sound like science. Worse than that, she believed every word of it and thought she was going to graduate as a proper scientist!

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

One of my BSc Physics degree modules started life as "The fundamentals of physics at the sub-atomic (quantum) level" (or something close to that) - but was shortened on the timetable to "Quantum Physics"...

1. Clive Harris

Physics is fun

My quantum mechanics course at Southampton, back in the '70s, was subtitled "Physics is Fun" aka "The Smith and Thomas Show". From what I remember, professors Smith and Thomas did a pretty good job of putting some fun into a baffling topic.

2. This post has been deleted by its author

13. Mr Dogshit

RIP Oxford IT Training Academy

I once had some dealings with a bunch of wide boys calling themselves the Oxford IT Training Academy. Their business model consisted of selling gullible IT wannabes loans to get them through the A+ and a couple of MCP exams, and then boot camping said losers through these exams using any means possible.

I noticed their coat of arms contained a maple leaf and a beaver. They'd lifted it from the Canadian province of Saskatchewan.

I emailed the Canadian government. About a week later, I was BCCed into an email from said government to the aforementioned entrepreneurs, telling them to cease and desist using a coat of arms they weren't entitled to or face a fine of CAD$30,000 a day.

Funnily, they ceased trading.

1. Bloakey1

Re: RIP Oxford IT Training Academy

I think that reports of their death might be somewhat premature. They are listed as having a head office in Harrow (their "campus") and their main office is in St James's Park.

Sooo, they are still trading. I particularly liked this little gem 'wot they rote'<sic>:

"The Oxford IT Training Academy does not place any stress on classroom teaching."

I now realise that all those years I wasted at Uni could have been put to more profitable use.

14. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

A good outcome for once

Not fussed about the bigger picture of what this could mean for other disputed domains that include a trademark name as part of a bigger title that might not actually be related.

It's at least got rid of such an obvious scam which no doubt, some people will have fallen for.

15. egeria
    Holmes

European Arab Business & Fellowship thing

"As things stand, the websites are still up, but they will shortly be handed over to the University of Oxford, which will presumably add them to the long list of domain names it holds and does nothing with in an effort to stop people profiting from its name."

Can't really see a problem with that.

I also note that the same outfit runs http://www.eu-arabstates.co.uk/

Presumably when they've finished with Greece, the EU can raise a case with WIPO...

16. x 7

I see oxfordcollegeteens.com and oxfordcollegelesbians.com are still available. I'm surprised the university LGBTs haven't grabbed the second

while on the same train of thought, CambridgeUniversityNaughtyTeenStudents.com is also available

17. Grinning Bandicoot

Invitation for faculty at moneybags

Needed a few more cynics to staff the new school being established. Oxenford University will offer a DN, DNE and a Diploma in GPW. Interested cynics please apply with outrageous demands included including the amount of the swag expected.

DN = Doctorate of Nonsuch for those that need to impress

DNE = Doctorate of No Ethics for those intending high government position

Diploma in Government Paper Work for those civic minded people wishing to keep thr transfer payment people employed.

18. Phil Endecott

University of Bums on Seats

If you fancy a laugh:

http://cynicalbastards.com/ubs/

"The Antithesis of Academic Excellence"

1. Intractable Potsherd

Re: University of Bums on Seats

That is eerily like the websites of several real universities I know of, except for student "praise" for the university culled from words that have been said in eight or none completely different conversations.

However, I now have a Fasttrack E-PhD in Dynamic and Cyber Arts, but I'm a bit worried about whether it is real - no respectable university would allow a false email address for billing purposes, would they? ;-)

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like