back to article Kingston offers up its fastest SATA SSD: HyperX Savage 240GB

Kingston’s latest SATA-based addition to its HyperX range of SSDs is the Savage, an SSD which boasts some pretty impressive performance and endurance figures. Kingston HyperX Savage 240GB SSD The beast within: Kingston's HyperX Savage According to the official sequential figures for the drive, it is the company’s fastest …

1. Fuzz

SATA?

Why are we still getting "new" SATA drives. I thought SATA was done.

1. future research

Re: SATA?

SATA will be around for a long time, probably as long as spinning rust, which will die after tape is gone.

P.S. Tape may never die.

2. Anthony Hegedus Silver badge

64Gbit?

"The controller looks after the Kingston branded NAND which, in actual fact, is Toshiba’s A19 64Gbit MLC Toggle chips. The 240GB drive I’m reviewing uses 16 NAND packages, eight per side of the PCB, and there’s also a 256MB DDR3L 1600 cache chip (Nanya) for good measure."

Surely they'd be 128Gbit to achieve 240GB total, if there are 16 packages?

3. Sandtitz Silver badge
    Meh

Just another boring SSD

Those uncompressible speeds in Crystaldiskmark are actually bit worse than the benchmark results of my 2-year-old 256GB Samsung 840 Pro. The sequential writes are a bit faster but everything else is slower.

The SATA SSD drives are not very much worth reviewing anymore since the interface has been a bottleneck for the last couple of years now. Here's hoping NVMe/SATA Express gains more traction soon.

I have several older Kingston HyperX models and I like the screwdrivers (w/ multiple heads) and the USB cradles a lot - though the cradle's are only USB 2.0. Most of the Sandforce based HyperX drives have bitten dust and I'm not eager to throw money at Kingston anymore.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

It’s a striking drive to look at too

sad testament to human nature.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

240GB (£82)

not bad against 75 quid for an evo 850 / 250GB, given increase in performance, but... I'd still prefer samsung evo :)

6. Lee D Silver badge

Give me capacity or don't bother.

1Tb minimum nowadays.

7. Richard Lloyd

Er, SATA SSDs are performance-limited, so any review of them is tedious

Sorry, but SATA 3 SSDs are yesterday's news - they were saturating the SATA 3 interface 3 years ago and haven't increased in speed since!

Where's all the reviews of the PCIe SSDs (in their confusingly multiple formats)? That's where the performance is - a shame their price is still a multiple of SATA 3 SSDs, but the price gap has been closing in the last year or two - another 12-18 months and they'll become serious competition to SATA 3 SSDs.

8. Nigel 11

No capacitors?

I can't see a bank of capacitors for an emergency power reserve. If I'm correct, what happens to the contents of that 256Mb of RAM when the power fails (especially if the drive is in the middle of remapping some blocks on which your filesystem metadata resides)?

9. DrM
    Thumb Down

Acronis True Image 2015

"The kit provides: an Acronis True Image HD key, one of the best drive clone tools around."

Acronis True Image 2015 is a dog vs. 2014. The new completely redesigned UI is mysterious and confusing, gives few indications as to why it won't do some things, just refuses.

Their Drive Clone is particularly unsuitable for installing your new SSD. They reboot into UNIX, and UNIX cannot see a USB3.0 connected SATA drive that uses the most popular SATA/USB bridge sold. Further more, you must install the new, blank SSD into the laptop first, then boot on their SW and copy from the removed drive via the bridge it cannot see. They say if you try to copy out to the SSD it will not be bootable.

Samsung's included SW will simply copy the internal drive to a USB/SATA bridge-connected 850EVO. So will Paragon's drive copy. But Acronis is bad news.

1. Disgruntled of TW
      FAIL

Re: Acronis True Image 2015

@DrM I have to agree. The interface is poor, leaving you to forage through the convoluted logfiles. Errors messages are proprietary and misleading. Without support, you are dead in the water.

But wait, there's more ... even if you fork out for the full commercial version of True image 2015, you get 30 days support, then NOTHING. If you pay £15/incident, you get to call and speak to them, otherwise it's the forums and no guarantees.

Not what you want from a backup/recovery vendor taking your money.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like