back to article Another day, ANOTHER Windows 10 build for us Insiders

Microsoft's "Windows Insider" fast track is living up to its name, with build 10162 released yesterday, making it three builds in four days since 10158 appeared on 29 June. One difference this time round is that you can download the ISO image in one of 22 languages. The download page is headed "April update" at the time of …

1. Dan 55 Silver badge

Microsoft Wi-Fi

Isn't this just Skype Wi-Fi by another name?

If so, it's rather odd as I thought they were supposed to be pushing the Skype brand.

1. hplasm
      Happy

Re: Microsoft Wi-Fi

"... the Skype brand."

isn't that doomed by Murdoch Inc?

2. Gio Ciampa

From the Insider site:

"Click on one of the Download links on this page to download a special file – called an ISO file – that you can use to install the preview."

Special??? Surely most vistors will know what an ISO file is, and what to do with it?

1. hplasm
      Windows

Special???

"... Surely most visitors will know what an ISO file is, and what to do with it?"

If they are that desperate, perhaps not...

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

@hplasm - Re: Special???

Not necessarily! It's been a while since Microsoft made ISO files and installation disks unavailable for large numbers of consumers.

Last night I was looking on Microsoft website on how to purchase Windows 10 and all I got was the advice to buy a PC installed with Windows 8.1 and take advantage of the free upgrade. They're missing two points:

- I already have enough PCs in my home so I don't need to buy another one

- I want an installation disk so I can perform a clean installation on the PC of my choice (the one that has better hardware support)

I know that for a vast majority of consumers this is not an issue so I doubt Microsoft will do something about it. Oh well, my Windows XP is still working fine and Windows 7 has many years of useful life to live.

1. illiad

Re: @hplasm - Special???

Hey, win10 is not Ready for marketing yet... that will be july 29 or after...

And guess what?? after that date, ALL searches will go to win10, just like they all go to win8 now...

2. cd

When a software company and a developer have an intimate relationship, they get together to to make a special file...

3. jonathanb Silver badge

El Reg readers will know what an ISO file is, but the average member of the public will not.

1. Trevor_Pott Gold badge

"El Reg readers will know what an ISO file is, but the average member of the public will not."

Windows Insiders should.

3. W Donelson

Only 28 more days or so until you can ABUSE THE CRAP OUT OF YOURSELF with more Microsoft grundge.

Here’s why -

How Ballmer completely wrecked Microsoft: http://www.vanityfair.com/online/daily/2012/07/microsoft-downfall-emails-steve-ballmer

1. dogged

yaaaaaaawn

2. Innocent-Bystander*

Stop with the Vanity Fair article. It centers on stack ranking, an HR practice that was scrapped at MS about a year ago. Yes, it caused major problems, but they are getting with the times.

I've been using the TP's off an on. It's one of the best Windows releases yet.

1. BobChip
        Coat

Stack ranking ....

Of course they no longer use the odious stack ranking system, or rather they don't actually call it that any more .... However, according to one Microsoftie I know, the principle is still alive and well in the HR system. Learning from experience seems to equate to heresy in Microsoft's HR speak.

I'll get my coat now.....

2. W Donelson

Too late, the best have fled.

4. Amorous Cowherder
    Facepalm

Lazy buggers haven't update MSDN, that still shows 10074!

1. TheVogon

"Lazy buggers haven't update MSDN"

Probably they are all busy with that annual holiday they have in the US that celebrates colluding with the French and giving up speaking English...

1. Primus Secundus Tertius

Aw c'mon. It's a damn sight easier to talk to those guys than to someone in Calais, or even Glasgow.

5. Steve 114

Downloading now, but my Build upgrades have very often failed n-1 times. The reassuring feature has been that the previous version always reliably comes back, even if it takes all night with no apparent HDD activity to happen. Let's see if this one can also be tweaked to replicate Win7 appearance, to unlink 'Bing', and to work without a 'Microsoft Account'.

6. PNGuinn
    Trollface

Interesting wallpaper

Interesting wallpaper. Is that poor lassie running towards the water a beta tester in distress? Will the wnidows Nads experience drive YOU to want to drown yourself? Will there be penguins behind the rocks to save her?

Just waiting for the plankton to bite...

1. TheOtherHobbes

Re: Interesting wallpaper

"A new dawn" or "On the rocks"?

7. Bluto Nash

First build that's allowed me to connect to my NAS. But now the screen doesn't scale quite right on my netbook. Good with the bad, I guess, hoping to have it hammered out by release. Fresh install from some weird "EYESO" file or something.

8. Curious
    Black Helicopters

On a related topic,

do others still have the issue of the windows 7 and 8 patches that are "update(s) that enables you to upgrade to a later version of Windows." still damaging the performance of their PC with high CPU use?

It shows in process explorer as

rundll32.exe appraiser.dll,DoScheduledTelemetryRun

And run by windows scheduler. It's supposed to stop after 30 minutes, but doesn't appear to.

Installed by the updates KB 2990214 patch for Windows 7 (and KB 3044374 for Windows 8.1) in February and purpose is recording application telemetry.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-windows_update/rundllexe-using-whole-cpu-to-run-appraiserdll/b29bdffd-56e2-418f-b0c5-a7f3dfbab2b5?page=1

Sneaky hamstringing of computers on the old OS? Surely not.

9. Contrex

"First build that's allowed me to connect to my NAS."

10130 wouldn't let me connect to my Seagate Goflex Home, but 10159 would.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Micro$haft Windoze 'upgrade' lol.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like