back to article 'I am so TIRED of your bullsh*t...' Sprint boss flips lid at T-Mobile US CEO

Sprint CEO Marcelo Claure has had enough of T-Mobile US chief John Legere, and he's told the world about it. The Sprint boss took to Twitter last night and fired off a testy rant calling T-Mobile US "bullshit" and accusing the telco of being "cheap" and "misleading" its customers. The rant came after Legere posted a tweet …

1. Mark 85 Silver badge

All this reminds of two kids on the playground..."what you toss on me, rubs off on you" "liar, liar, pants on fire." "mom!!! he called me an idiot".... etc.

So we're expected to believe everything that comes out of the keyboard on Twitter from the likes of them? It would be nice that instead of smoke and mirrors and shoveling BS at each other if the telcos would do exactly what they say they will do. Nothing more. Nothing less.

1. Sirius Lee

@Mark 85 - these were my thoughts reading the article. It must be a dismal experience having to use a product from companies lead by jokers like these. The idea of a good day at the office of the most senior person in the organisation is bad mouthing the competition on Twitter. Imagine being an employee of such a company. Or maybe it's the way all companies will be lead in the future.

2. jibanes

I think Legere seriously rocks; he has balls, Claure could use some.

1. christexaport

LEGERE ROCKS!!

He's a national hero in the US! Fastest growing carrier standing up to the big guys. Honest, accessible, and with swagger of a typical American. He speaks our language, and cuts no corners.

3. xpz393

I'm in the UK, but...

This T-Mobile chap seems like a right twat.

1. christexaport

Re: I'm in the UK, but...

Well maybe its a cultural disconnect. He speaks on behalf of the consumers, and we LOVE this man. There's a reason TMoUS is the fastest growing carrier. He's what we call a straight shooter. With the carrier landscape as it is now, we NEEDED a straight shooter that spoke honestly, from his heart, and cut no corners. He's a national hero, and they are just jealous.

4. ecofeco Silver badge

Phone companies?

Fuck them all. A pox on ALL their houses.

5. Kevin McMurtrie Silver badge

Nobody is forcing anyone to use T-Mobile. There's no contract.

Hey, Sprint. You owe me $2000 for that two year contract where you sold me a defective Galaxy S2, put me on a "4G" WiMax band that didn't work, and then said there was nothing you could do about the phone crashing or the 4G being somewhere between zero and 16 Kbps. I'll start believing you when the check arrives in the mail.

6. mmkkpro

Neither of these companies can compete with at&t in the us , only place they even work is in metro area's , cricket wireless performs better.

1. christexaport

You clearly aren't living in the US. Every carrier has their issues in certain locations. The US is large, with states larger than some countries! I live in Texas, about the size of France.

at&t isn't all that, either. VERIZON is the best carrier for service across the board, but ask anyone, and they tell you, the crown jewel is Tmobile in the US. Pricing is much more fair, they are honest and up front about everything, including areas where they aren't so strong in coverage, etc.

Since the failed merger with at&t, TMo has acquired lots of spectrum as part of the breakup, and their network today is the fastest in most areas, both in HSPA+ and LTE, and coverage is closer to par with the big 2 now. Its not the fastest growing carrier for no reason, my friend.

Cricket sucks. Throttled pieces of bug legged trash. MetroPCS is better, and on TMo network. I'm in the US. I cover this industry here. Trust me, the old marketing messages about TMo are no longer true.

7. Big_Ted
    Paris Hilton

I feel sorry for you poor people in the USA.

I have just taken a retentions deal with Three UK and for about $47 a month (£30) I have a brand new Galaxy Note 4 and unlimited minutes, texts and data (real unlimited, I use at least 100 plus gigs a month streaming and downloading torrents) on a 24 month contract.

To me thats the highest price I would pay for the deal. I look on in horror at what you have to pay.

1. Alistair
      Coat

to those of us with far fewer bodies and far more territory to cover

The americans have it cheap. $70/month - but 2g data limit. *sigh*

1. christexaport

Re: to those of us with far fewer bodies and far more territory to cover

Where are you guys getting this false info??

TMo has unlimited deals in the $60ish dollar range, and throttle you after 21GB or so. Its a non issue, since Wifi is so proliferated, you never use that much, and everyone has home broadband service. Maybe you should update your info on US carrier deals. Its changed. We don't even HAVE 2g data anymore in most places, but HSPA+ is the fallback, and its almost as fast as LTE, faster in some areas.

2. Triggerfish

Yup work with a lot of guys in the US, the mobile signal always seems crap, as for broadband both home and work is poor and so expensive.

8. Mark C 2

I remember...

...in 2007 when the TV adverts in the US were comparing certain Telcos because they only dropped 3% of calls! Has it got any better since then?

I am in the UK, remind me, what's a dropped call?

9. Charlie Clark Silver badge

Where's the news?

I only see some fluff round some fairly random Twitter quotes. In general: if it's on Twitter, it ain't news.

Legère has shown how to use Twitter for good PR. Journalism 101: PR isn't news.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like

• DMCA can't be used to sidestep First Amendment, court rules
    Anonymous speech protections apply online too, and copyright can't diminish that

It's been a good week for free speech advocates as a judge ruled that copyright law cannot be used to circumvent First Amendment anonymity protections.

The decision from the US District Court for the Northern District of California overturns a previous ruling that compelled Twitter to unmask an anonymous user accused of violating the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA). 

The Electronic Frontier Foundation (EFF), which filed a joint amicus brief with the ACLU in support of Twitter's position, said the ruling confirms "that copyright holders issuing subpoenas under the DMCA must still meet the Constitution's test before identifying anonymous speakers." 

Continue reading
  • Musk repeats threat to end $46.5bn Twitter deal – with lawyers, not just tweets
    Right as Texas AG sticks his oar in

Elon Musk is prepared to terminate his takeover of Twitter, reiterating his claim that the social media biz is covering up the number of spam and fake bot accounts on the site, lawyers representing the Tesla CEO said on Monday.

Musk offered to acquire Twitter for $54.20 per share in an all-cash deal worth over $44 billion in April. Twitter's board members resisted his attempt to take the company private but eventually accepted the deal. Musk then sold $8.4 billion worth of his Tesla shares, secured another $7.14 billion from investors to try and collect the $21 billion he promised to front himself. Tesla's stock price has been falling since this saga began while Twitter shares gained and then tailed downward.

Morgan Stanley, Bank of America, Barclays, and others promised to loan the remaining $25.5 billion from via debt financing. The takeover appeared imminent as rumors swirled over how Musk wanted to make Twitter profitable and take it public again in a future IPO. But the tech billionaire got cold feet and started backing away from the deal last month, claiming it couldn't go forward unless Twitter proved fake accounts make up less than five per cent of all users – a stat Twitter claimed and Musk believes is higher.

Continue reading
  • SpaceX staff condemn Musk's behavior in open letter
    Well, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to see why

A group of employees at SpaceX wrote an open letter to COO and president Gwynne Shotwell denouncing owner Elon Musk's public behavior and calling for the rocket company to "swiftly and explicitly separate itself" from his personal brand.

The letter, which was acquired through anonymous SpaceX sources, calls Musk's recent behavior in the public sphere a source of distraction and embarrassment. Musk's tweets, the writers argue, are de facto company statements because "Elon is seen as the face of SpaceX."

Musk's freewheeling tweets have landed him in hot water on multiple occasions – one incident even leaving him unable to tweet about Tesla without a lawyer's review and approval. 

Continue reading
  • Twitter shareholders to vote on Elon Musk's acquisition
    Mogul's team sprayed with 'firehose' of data as unending saga continues

Twitter has reportedly thrown its $44 billion buyout by Elon Musk to a shareholder vote, which could take place around late July or early August.

Execs told employees of the plans on Wednesday, according to outlets including CNBC and the Financial Times.

The move follows reiterations by Musk's camp that he is prepared to walk away from the deal if the social media network fails to provide accurate information on the number of fake accounts.

Continue reading
  • GPUs aren’t always your best bet, Twitter ML tests suggest
    Graphcore processor outperforms Nvidia rival in team's experiments

GPUs are a powerful tool for machine-learning workloads, though they’re not necessarily the right tool for every AI job, according to Michael Bronstein, Twitter’s head of graph learning research.

His team recently showed Graphcore’s AI hardware offered an “order of magnitude speedup when comparing a single IPU processor to an Nvidia A100 GPU,” in temporal graph network (TGN) models.

“The choice of hardware for implementing Graph ML models is a crucial, yet often overlooked problem,” reads a joint article penned by Bronstein with Emanuele Rossi, an ML researcher at Twitter, and Daniel Justus, a researcher at Graphcore.

Continue reading
  • SEC probes Musk for not properly disclosing Twitter stake
    Meanwhile, social network's board rejects resignation of one its directors

America's financial watchdog is investigating whether Elon Musk adequately disclosed his purchase of Twitter shares last month, just as his bid to take over the social media company hangs in the balance. 

A letter [PDF] from the SEC addressed to the tech billionaire said he "[did] not appear" to have filed the proper form detailing his 9.2 percent stake in Twitter "required 10 days from the date of acquisition," and asked him to provide more information. Musk's shares made him one of Twitter's largest shareholders. The letter is dated April 4, and was shared this week by the regulator.

Musk quickly moved to try and buy the whole company outright in a deal initially worth over $44 billion. Musk sold a chunk of his shares in Tesla worth $8.4 billion and bagged another $7.14 billion from investors to help finance the $21 billion he promised to put forward for the deal. The remaining $25.5 billion bill was secured via debt financing by Morgan Stanley, Bank of America, Barclays, and others. But the takeover is not going smoothly.

Continue reading
  • Twitter founder Dorsey beats hasty retweet from the board
    As shareholders sue the social network amid Elon Musk's takeover scramble

Twitter has officially entered the post-Dorsey age: its founder and two-time CEO's board term expired Wednesday, marking the first time the social media company hasn't had him around in some capacity.

Jack Dorsey announced his resignation as Twitter chief exec in November 2021, and passed the baton to Parag Agrawal while remaining on the board. Now that board term has ended, and Dorsey has stepped down as expected. Agrawal has taken Dorsey's board seat; Salesforce co-CEO Bret Taylor has assumed the role of Twitter's board chair. 

In his resignation announcement, Dorsey – who co-founded and is CEO of Block (formerly Square) – said having founders leading the companies they created can be severely limiting for an organization and can serve as a single point of failure. "I believe it's critical a company can stand on its own, free of its founder's influence or direction," Dorsey said. He didn't respond to a request for further comment today. 

Continue reading
  • Elon Musk needs more cash for Twitter buy after Tesla margin loan lapses
    Entrepreneur now looking at $33.5b bill if he wants to complete $44b purchase

Elon Musk must personally secure $33.5 billion to fund his $44 billion Twitter purchase after allowing a $12.5 billion margin loan against Tesla stock to expire.

Regulatory filings released Wednesday show the Tesla and SpaceX boss agreeing to secure "an additional $6.25 billion in equity financing" on top of the original $27.3 billion.

The Tesla boss's Twitter purchase originally relied on $21bn of equity that he had to provide along with $12.5bn in margin loans secured by his Tesla stock. That margin loan was dropped to $6.25bn on May 5, and this additional financing would eliminate it altogether.

Continue reading
  • Elon Musk says Twitter buy 'cannot move forward' until spam stats spat settled
    A stunning surprise to no one in this Solar System

Elon Musk said his bid to acquire and privatize Twitter "cannot move forward" until the social network proves its claim that fake bot accounts make up less than five per cent of all users.

The world's richest meme lord formally launched efforts to take over Twitter last month after buying a 9.2 per cent stake in the biz. He declined an offer to join the board of directors, only to return asking if he could buy the social media platform outright at $54.20 per share. Twitter's board resisted Musk's plans at first, installing a "poison pill" to hamper a hostile takeover before accepting the deal, worth over $44 billion.

But then it appears Musk spotted something in Twitter's latest filing to America's financial watchdog, the SEC. The paperwork asserted that "fewer than five percent" of Twitter's monetizable daily active users (mDAUs) in the first quarter of 2022 were fake or spammer accounts, which Musk objected to: he felt that figure should be a lot higher. He had earlier proclaimed that ridding Twitter of spam bots was a priority for him, post-takeover.

Continue reading
  • Elon Musk 'violated' Twitter NDA over bot-check sample size
    <5% figure was based on 100 accounts, if you're wondering

Updated Last week Elon Musk hit pause on his Twitter acquisition over the platform's "less than 5 percent" bot figure.

The Register asked the microblogging website how it made the estimate and was stonewalled, but in ensuing discussions over the weekend, Musk blurted out that the sample size was 100 accounts.

One Musk fan asked how the userbase might help uncover the "real percentage" of fake accounts and was told:

Continue reading

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2022