back to article Ransomware slinging exploit kit targets Flash remote code execution

Attackers have added a recent dangerous Adobe vulnerability to the Magnitude exploit kit, according to respected independent malware researcher "Kafeine". The remote code execution vulnerability (CVE-2015-3113) revealed last week allows attackers to hijack un-patched machines targeting Internet Explorer on Windows 7 and XP. …

1. Roger B

It's gone

I've removed Flash Player this weekend from my laptop, I think it'll probably be a week before I need to put it back on, although the only sites that don't work at the moment are the connection speed testing sites. The fan kicks in watching Youtube, but that's just the aging Dual Core struggling with HTML I'm guessing.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: It's gone

BBC and Twitch and online learning websites etc means Flash is inescapable indefinitely... Arrggghh!

1. Roger B

Re: It's gone

BBC i Player I could manage without, the Youview box or Xbox can take care of that, Twitch is not something I watch, but having just bought a couple of CDs from Amazon (Yes I know CDs!) the player said something about wanting Flash player to download then, although it is streaming them easily enough. Also, does anyone know of a broadband speed tester that does not use Flash? Anyone still reading this article?

1. Woodgar

Re: It's gone (speed test without Flash)

http://speedof.me/

Doesn't use flash or java, and is fully html5 based.

2. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

$100,000 per month? Really?

Various local Police forces around the world spend large amounts of manpower and resources and on far less serious crimes so with all this 5-eyes spying how come no one has managed to track this guy down yet?

1. Florida1920

Re: $100,000 per month? Really?

how come no one has managed to track this guy down yet?

My guess is, he's paying off some fellow Russians for "protection."

2. Robert Helpmann?? Silver badge
      Childcatcher

Re: $100,000 per month? Really?

The researchers say the Magnitude author, thought to be a single Russian, could make up to $3 million a year.

Hmm... Reads like an online personals posting or the intro line for a new reality TV show. Should we look forward to the premiere of Most Eligible Hacker this Fall?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2020