back to article A testing time for storage – it's VMware from Nutanix, by a nose

VMware evangelist and blogger Chuck Hollis says Nutanix prices are vastly higher than VSAN prices for equivalent performance and functionality at least, so why pay more? It seems VMware sees Nutanix's hyperconverged products as the top competitor for its VSAN (Virtual SAN) product, so Hollis compared various VSAN …

1. Little Mouse
    WTF?

Presumably a photo of two men staring intently at cups of frothy brown liquid whilst holding spoons is some sort of metaphor for this article?

What does the cup of water signify?

1. Bronek Kozicki

Someone smelled the coffee. Literally, in this case.

Which I think is accurate for this piece of non-newscomparison.

2. Pancakes

The sad thing about this whole comparison is that Chuck Hollis thinks his crappy VSAN product offers the same value and features as Nutanix, who are lightyears ahead.

I smell a dinosaur just pooped it's pants in fear of the new wave...

3. larrygs

Licenses

I think this comparison is missing key info:

vSphere license cost

vCenter cost

Without that you cannot have VSAN.

Also, as far as I know VSAN does not offer Compression or Deduplication.

4. ewong1234

Not sure why VMware decided that it's better to go to EMC and bring Mr. Hollis as the main spokesperson for VSAN and EVO. The reality in the field is that EVO is nearly dead. VSAN is on life support. Chuck Hollis and his 1990s playbook is not going to play well in the era of blogging and social media. The more he writes about VSAN, the more customers like Nutanix.

I, for the life of me, don't understand why VMware won't throw out Chuck Hollis, Rawlinson Rivera and the ilk and bring Duncan Epping, Cormac Hogan etc back to the limelight to breath life back to VSAN. They make substantive and poignant arguments against Nutanix, arguments that are useful in an actual sales situation against Nutanix. Is "cheap"t the best way to compete against a newcomer?

I've been a VMware reseller for the last 11 years and, for the first time, I am at my wits end with trying to sell VSAN. If this tone-deafness doesn't change soon, I am ready to change my tune and start selling Nutanix and their new Acropolis XCP

5. Cloud 9

We like surprises

VMware dude says "VMware 'me too' solution best at being best" - hoping a recreation of the EMC vs NetApp blogging glory days encourages people to ignore innovation.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

So Nutanix is that good?

That it can carry that much of a premium to market against comparable products?

Wow. Good endorsement, Mr. Hollis.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Love it when startups force established players into defensive postures

"we're cheaper"

"we're just as good"

"we can bundle for you"

"you don't need that"

Must be music to Nutanix shareholders ears.

Watch out big red...

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like