back to article Windows 8-Facebook sync blown away in API bombing raid

Microsoft will soon drop Facebook integration from Windows and a number of its online products, following a change to Facebook's APIs. It appears Facebook has changed parts of its Graph API that Microsoft's code uses. That change has broken compatibility between Redmond's software and the social network, so now several of …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Hans 1
    Thumb Up

Security Fix on Patch Tuesday?

>Facebook Contacts will no longer sync with Outlook.com, Office 365's Outlook Web App, Windows Live Essentials, or the People apps from Windows 8, Windows 8.1, Windows Phone 7, and Windows Phone 8.

In my books, that looks like a security vulnerability fix in Windows and Office, good job, Microsoft!

Seriously, though, who in their right mind would sync outlook contacts/data to Facebook ?

Zuck said: "Facebook users are a bunch of "dumb fucks" that are willing to give their data to me so I can sell it on."

Excuse the language, I those are the words he used.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Go

Re: Security Fix on Patch Tuesday?

It's the other way round, in the People app, all your contacts from Facebook, LinkedIn, Twitter, Hotmail (outlook) and some others are in one place. So for example, if I need to phone Uncle Fred who I've never called before, so happens to have added his phone number in his Facebook account and shared with family, hey presto, I can call him. And that Techie I need to get hold of? Bugger don't have his details to hand...oh yes I do, he's shared his email via LinkedIn.

It's actually bloody useful at times.

2. Complicated Disaster
    Thumb Down

FFS. One of the genuinely useful features of Windows Phone gone.

1. Douchus McBagg

true, but it might be the push I need to close down my facebook account as this is the only reason it's still alive.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Facebook

People really still use that crap ?

The same sort of people who use it think mullets are cool and pitbulls aren't dangerous.

4. Dave Horn

Not that bad...

Windows Phone 8.1 and Windows 10 both use the newer API (the Facebook app handles the messy bit) so aren't affected.

I found it useful as it added contact pictures to the list, but it's hardly a huge loss and there aren't that many people on either Windows Phone 8 or Windows 8.1 that will (a) care or (b) won't get a free update to Windows 10.

5. Chris G

Win8

So Windows8 is not so bad after all.

If the new 10 has an app to nuke any Farcebooker that wants to be my friend, I'll download it.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like