back to article Wall Street watchdog publishes its ultimate rules on Bitcoin biz

The New York State Department of Financial Services (DFS) — the financial regulator for Wall Street — has released its final regulations for Bitcoins. The BitLicense Framework will regulate the use of digital currency in New York and tries to strike a balance between preventing fraud while staying open to innovation in a …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Presumably

These regulatory rules only apply when a scapegoat is needed, and the rest of the time financial organisations can treat them as 'optional'?

1. Christian Berger

Re: Presumably

That's still better than having no meaningfull regulations at all like it's in the current banking sector.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Just in time

For no-one to care.

The arse has fallen out of the market and it's become glaringly obvious to make any money you need to manipulate the market - which wouldn't be acceptable under regulations.

2. Graham Marsden
    Thumb Up

"How exactly does someone go about banning computer code?

"... The answer, of course, is that you cannot."

Huzzah! At least *one* person gets it!

1. BobRocket

Re: "How exactly does someone go about banning computer code?

I'm also happy that he understands that Bitcoin is just an app that utilises a blockchain.

It is analogous to the WWW and the Internet.

You can use a blockchain for a whole lot more stuff than just a cryptocurrency.

3. ro55mo

What?

Windows XP? Seems somewhat unsafe. I hope that picture is very old...

1. Primus Secundus Tertius

Re: What?

No, not very old.

Only yesterday I saw XP on a machine at my local council.

2. Christian Berger

Re: What?

Windows XP still is the backbone of many companies. In the laboratory I work we recently (this year) switched from Windows 2000 to Windows XP because the Windows 2000 laptop broke.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like