back to article Microsoft suffers worldwide Wi-Fi wardrobe malfunction

Microsoft is gearing up to launch a new Wi-Fi hotspot-hunting app, designed to keep people connected to the web wherever they are – assuming they're within range of a friendly wireless network. The Redmond software giant switched on its new microsoftwifi.com website, promising further details on "Microsoft Wi-Fi," which will …

1. This post has been deleted by its author

1. h4rm0ny

That's okay, they're actually all in Seattle.

2. Tromos

I'm just glad I'm not with BT paying over the odds for a limited internet service and also providing a service to Microsoft subscribers via the shonky home hubs provided,

3. Mage Silver badge
    Trollface

It's a bit obnoxious the way the WiFi pay service has been bundled into Skype rather than separate. A lot of the other changes are obnoxious too:

No way to disable adverts

No way to disable microphone

No way to disable camera (perhaps accounts for the massive CPU usage on on some netbooks).

http://www.techtir.ie/QQ_replaces_Skype

QQ isn't 100% straight forward to get or configure in English. But when setup properly it's superior to Skype, I expect if the Chinese use it to Spy that's less bad than NSA if you are not Chinese?

4. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

The service charges users per minute of use

I thought the benefit of Skype was to save on high mobile charges and/or save your free minutes? Why would I want to use a pay per minute Skype when I can make free phone calls?

5. Teiwaz

Welcome to the future...

Software as a Service...

Microsoft (whatever they can charge for) as a Service...

(Yet they are desperate enough to give it away free for a year)

6. Andy A

Cheap as chips

$150 a year works out a LOT cheaper for those of us who just want a data connection than the cheapest deal offered by BT or any of their resellers.

You just sponge off the bandwidth paid for by one or more of your neighbours. With a bit of luck they will have coughed up the extra for fibre-to-the-cabinet, and even after throttling you'll be better off than others around you.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like