back to article SpaceX’s anti-hacker tech powers UK launch of security startup

Technology originally developed to keep Chinese hackers from stealing SpaceX's secrets more than a decade ago has become the centrepiece of a browser isolation security startup. Branden Spikes, the chief exec of Spikes Security, spent 15 years as the technological right hand of Elon Musk at startups including PayPal, Tesla and …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

So in essence this is a proxy browser providing a "remote sandbox"?

Run on a separate machine and with more modest compatibility goals than a sandboxed desktop browser so probably a reduced attack surface so likely safer. But at core won't much of its present security be down to obscurity - e.g. If MS and Google both adopted it then it would face the level of attacks currently breaking their browser sandboxes all too often?

1. you are idiots
      Facepalm

Re: So in essence this is a proxy browser providing a "remote sandbox"?

usual marketing bollocks...

misnamed.. it's not a real air-gap.. so misleading too.

2. dfgalla

Re: So in essence this is a proxy browser providing a "remote sandbox"?

Mongo wrote: "it would face the level of attacks currently breaking..." That is missing the point. The browser is isolated in the DMZ - even if a hack gets out of the browser and into the host machine it can't do any harm since the connection between the server and the internal network only allows graphics, mouse and keyboard data to flow - no hacker software can get through that connection. At worst the hacker could intercept your browsing sessions and steal web site passwords etc, but it still could not get into the internal network.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

What fascinates me

is that Boeing are relying on technology developed by a former SpaceX employee to keep their secrets secure. I cant help but wonder in how many other fields Boeing are outmatched by other companies.

1. Hit Snooze
      FAIL

Re: What fascinates me

Is there something wrong with using good security technologies if you didn't develop it yourself?

3. Cook942

obviously not up to date on GoT

have they not noticed that the nights watch has let the wildlings through now? so I don't think it's a very good analogy

1. Anonymous Coward
      Coat

Re: obviously not up to date on GoT

well there is worse than wildings

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like